How much organic fertilizer in a ten gallon grow pot

I have 4 babies, white widows, that are going to be going in a ten gallon grow pots. I’m going to grow 2 plants in Stonington Blend Organic soil. Paul my husband, is going to take the other two babies and use pro-mix. He is going to put worm castings,organic chicken manure.and fish fertilizer. The question is how much does he put in the pro-mix, so he has enough NPK in his soil, so not to burn his babies. When and what else should he add to have enough NPK so his babies are happy.

Has the chicken manure been composted? It can’t be used until it’s been properly composted.

Secondly I would recommend using all soil, or all promix.

2 Likes

You’ll probably need to add compost to the promix to add microbes to actually break down all natural fertilizers (at least 10-20%) after that about 10-15 tablespoons should get you started for about 4-5 weeks prioritize nitrogen at a rate of 10-5-5 (the girls probably won’t even touch half of it until the roots really develop) just remember he’s running soiless so ph the water at 5.8 - 6 to optimize nitrogen gain, also with natural ferts you have to REALLY load them up to burn your girls you might see some nitrogen toxicity but that’s a minor problem that you can usually ride out with extra run off at watering

1 Like

He is using promix in a ten gallon grow pot. The chicken manure is bought in a package. I’m just wondering what to add and how much, chicken manure, fish fertilizer,and worm castings. He will be mixing it up in the promix then trans planting the little white widow… So the question is how much fertilizer to make sure the little plant has enough NPK.

He wants to mix it in promix before he transplants his little plant.

You’d be surprised that some people used it straight.
For ratios on living soil and compost, I defer to @Budbrother for soil ratios. I can make a guess, but I don’t want to steer you in the wrong direction.

2 Likes

In terms of NPK, the worm casting I have used range in .5 to 1.5% nitrogen with no P or K. I added 2 pounds of .5 castings to 10 gallons of promix peat moss (this is straight peat moss no other ingredients in the bag)

2 Likes

I hear you Thanks for deferring me to Budbrother for soil ratios. I want to make sure Hubby gets it right. Other wise I will be in the dog house thanks

1 Like

Thankyou, I just want to make sure the plants are happy

Does the chicken manure compost have a smell? It shouldn’t, if it’s composted enough. If smell free, it’s about 1.5-2.5 cups for a 10 gal pot.

2 Likes

I bought it from a plant store in a bag. He is also going to put worn castings and fish fertilizer, 2-4-0 , is that going to be enough for the little plant when transferred into the pro mix?

Enough for what? Veg?

1 Like

It is veg. Will be transplanting the babies into ten gallon grow pot

This helps a lot, thankyou

You will have plenty on N with some P. There’s little to no K or Ca in the pots. In veg theses are still needed for strong healthy plants.

1 Like

I also have fish fertilizer 2-4-0
Does that help

I included that when I typed above. Do you know what those numbers mean? The NPK of the products.

Nitrogen - 2
Phosphorus - 4
Potassium - 0

1 Like

I have stoning blend organic plant food with lobster kelp and worm castings 5 2 4 can I add some of that without over fertilizing. My two plants I’m going with the premiums but he seems to have to add on some other things to his plants. I do what’s easy.

I love that CoM Stonington Blend. I add that as a top dress food source throughout Veg & Bloom stages. I also top with BioLive 5-4-2 regularly.

Adding K is Langbeinite or Leonardite

If he’s looking for inspiration, I’d read this

1 Like

Thankyou, for the article on making my own soil. I will read this. Thankyou for all of your info. Actually I grow the plants, but he wanted a say on how to grow 2 of them. Yesterday, was transplant time. I was in high anxiety, about getting the NPK right. Then hubby said to do the Stonington blend fertilizer in his plants. Then I was ready to rock and roll! I planted one plant in the premium Stonington blend soil in a 15 grow pot. I have the fluorescent grow lights on them, for now. probably will switch to 1000 wat led lights when they get bigger, not sure. Thankyous so much for your help. Maybe in the future I will make my own soil. Still dealing with out side plants. Been covering them, Have had 4 frosts lately.

1 Like