How much longer until

If you cant get a good closeup of your trichomes, yhe easiest way to know when harvest time has come is when the calyxes stop producing new ones and all the older ones are shriveled up.

You see on the right side of this image there are still white calyx hairs? And the older ines are brown and shriveled? This bud is getting close. Once the white hairs are no longer being produced, you can be fairly confident the bud is mature.
Perfect example here, a lot of trichomes, however, there is still white hairs being born. If I harvest now, I will lose bud volume as the calyxes have yet to swell. I will also not have as much trichomes because the collect on the swollen calyxes. Then we need to give a few days for the trichomes to mature.

3 Likes

High,
Perfectly said Thanks
Happy growin
Ger

1 Like

@Cannabian this makes so much sense. Thanks bro, I know for sure there’s still some time to go. Happy growing!

1 Like

High,
One of the most important things I have learned through this forum and all the great people in it is to be PATIENT my friend.
Happy harvest
Ger

2 Likes

We all want this at the end

1 Like

A picture of beauty! How did you get them so fat? Also Is a fan important for the drying process? I’ll be putting the buds in my shed with some bubble wrap on the inside for insulation. There won’t be much airflow though.

You need to be able to remove the humidity or your cannabis could go moldy. I use a 6" inline fan to replace the air continuously. Once the humidity drops to around 56 percent or so it should be pretty close. You can use a small oscillating fan you move air around the plants… that would be helpful. Just bear in mind that if the room is humid it wont matter what you do, the weed will reach whatever humidity the room is at best. That could spell disaster if your shed is cold and moist

Thanks @Cannabian Do you recommend the fan to be on 24/7 or a few hours a day?

High,
I use a fan to circulate air. I dry in my garage. I grow in Michigan. Keep the doors shut open the window a bit for fresh air and use a fan to move it around. I keep a close eye on them during this process. Do not want mold
Happy harvest
Ger

1 Like

Thanks @Gerant my only worry is the fan possibly overheating if left on all day. Do you have it on throughout the day?

High,
Yes I leave it on. I do check it throughout the day though. I, like you, don’t want it to overheat or cause any other damage
Happy harvest, did you get yourself a jewelers loupe. You can find relatively inexpensive ones like $10-20. 40-60 magnifying power. It is worth it
Ger

I first dried my herb in my basement, which was a juicy 65% RH, but cool at 65 degrees. I removed all fan leaves and a good bit of sugar leaves before hanging. I had an oscillating fan spreading a light breeze across them at all times. It really smelled like reefer down there.

Four days later, I did a finish trim and put the buds in single layers in the bottoms of grocery-sized paper bags for another four days, with a mini hygrometer in each bag. I took the closed bags up into my air-conditioned office (50 RH), and kept an eye on them for another four days. They did not stink up the room, because I had rolled the tops of the bags closed.

After four days in the bags, the hygrometers hit 62% RH. The buds were then transferred into quart-sized Ball jars, with a #8 Boveda pack in each, and were placed back in the cool, dark basement.

Once a day, I carried the stash up into my office to be burped in the drier air.

The results exceeded my wildest expectations!

2 Likes

thanks @Gerant I won’t be out the house all day either so happy to leave the fan on.
I do have a jewelers loup.
So I was planning on cutting her down tomorrow. I know @Cannabian said to chop once all the white calyx hairs have stopped being produced though. @Cannabian do you think I should hold out for a few more days? Will I lose a lot of bud volume harvesting tomorrow?

Happy growing and appreciate the help guys!

3 Likes

High,
I would let them all change to NON WHITE pistols. Let her be if you can wait a few more day. I learned the more patient the better the harvest. It’s tough though.
Happy growin/harvest
Ger

1 Like

Yeah that looks like it has some time left.