How much electricity is a noticeable amount for an electric company?

I have 2 100 watt inline fans, 415 watt mars hydro, 2 small fans I’m not sure how much they draw. And I’m about to get a small window A/C unit

1 Like

You should be fine as long as you

1. Don’t tell anyone
    2.keep smell obtained
  2. Don’t sell
    You will be flying colors if you follow those 3 rules and the electric part isn’t a worry mainly the people they catch for that tap into the electricity line and use LARGE amounts. Hope this helps
1 Like

My experience only the lights really add up to much. My fans and such are almost no draw at all. My electric bill jumped around $250 a month I’d say. A/C will, of course, add even more to the bill

@Niala has a good post on calculating.

3 Likes

I misread, you are worried about someone noticing. I wouldn’t worry too much about that. A little jump won’t justify search warrants, etc. Plenty of easier targets for them I would think.

3 Likes

If your bill reaches or exceeds $1000 dollars a month , the electric company is required to come out and make an inspection for safety reasons , depending on the size of your house and how fast your bill jumped so high… no matter what you must understand if you have a smart meter on your house , which the majority of us do they know exactly when your power is drawn or kicked on or kicked off , I can look it up on my phone and see exactly when power is used and when it’s not used and that in itself can send up a red flag… so just be aware and be cautious and if you have the opportunity to move somewhere where it’s legal then it’s not something you have to worry about in the future …best wishes my man… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Some rather neat things a coffee maker uses 1200w a microwave 1000-1100 and most 6" inline fans around 90-120w 4" 60-80w the AC unit will likely be biggest draw. In my experience it isn’t the power use that gets you flagged it’s the fluctuations if you are growing year round fluctuations are less obvious. I use multiple spaces and flip flop to reduce daily fluctuations seasons justify many fluctuations summer ac unit winter space heaters :wink:
The big one is most power companies don’t care as long as you pay on time and without blinking
Honestly I wouldn’t be concerned they don’t really bat an eye until you are running 6-8 1000w lights a 5 tonne AC then they start asking questions about your welding business and wanting more money off you

1 Like

exactly why I run a flip flop I always have within 200w of same draw every hour of the day it drops slightly when we are sleeping if I were more concerned I would buy used hot tub as a lawn ornament but at my highest draw my shed runs about 800w for 18hr then drops to about 600 for 6hr at night

2 Likes

I doubt they will notice, I’m running 2 300w LED, a space heater, a fan, an inline filter and fan, a heating Matt and our meter only increases by $49 per month.my hubby Installed a small inline reader that displays actual monthly cost, so we can keep track.

1 Like

@Deer1 You can drive yourself nuts with this stuff. Some of the posts above showed you examples of electric use from common sources. Best advice… the golden rule -

#1. Never ever, ever, ever tell anyone what your doing. It’s hard not to, I understand, we’re all proud gardeners… brag all you want in here - that’s what this forum is for! lol. :+1::beer::smiley:

1 Like

I have 2 mars 600. 3 mars 300. 1 mars 400 reflector.2 4 in exhaust fans. 1 6 in exhaust fan 4 fans for circulation. And my light bill only went up about $50-75 a month

1 Like