How much dolomite lime should i add to a 5 gal pot?

@dbrn32 I can’t find the post where you recommended adding some lime to the top of the soil to increase my runoff PH. My lime showed up today just in time for my next watering. My runoff is testing at 5.6 to 5.7 PH. How much lime should I mix into the top of the soil? Thanks.

2 Likes

Good rule of thumb is 1-2 tablespoons per gallon of soil. In 5 gallon pot I would do like 7-8 tablespoons.

3 Likes

Did you get the fine or coarse? Was just thinking you probably don’t want to top dress that much of either. If you did with fine top of your pot will probably get hard like concrete. If you did with coarse it will probably take forever to dissolve.

Try a few tablespoons and lightly work into top inch or two of your soil.

2 Likes

I got the fine lime. Thanks. I will try two tablespoons and see what my runoff is.

2 Likes

I added 2 tablespoons and worked it down into the soil a good 2". My runoff PH tested at 5.5 with water at 6.5. I read somewhere that it takes a few waterings for the lime to do it’s thing? I also read runoff PH up to a full point lower is normal? Also my TDS was 2450. I think I remember reading that when your TDS goes up your PH goes down, is that correct? Thanks.

1 Like

It will probably take a few waterings before you see it start to stabilize. runoff a point lower may be normal, but it’s not ideal. That means that your root zone is trending out of uptake range. Different compounds have different effect on ph, so higher nutrient charge would depend on what it is as to how it may change ph.

3 Likes

Yeah, I noticed when I used Big Bloom only I had to use PH down and today I started using Tiger Bloom as well and had to use PH up.

1 Like

Auto fem northern lights. So I was told. I got the plant as a seedling in bad shape from a friend who was moving.
Ph is reading much to low.
She’s in a 5 gallon grow bag now with good purchased soil. She looks healthy but has not grown more then 10 inches.
I think it needs lime.

I don’t mean to hijack the thread 1st post getting acquainted with the forum

We can move it I haven’t see where to start a new thread

@Mg57 looks like it’s flowering so probably won’t get much more upward growth. Good luck :+1:t2:

1 Like