How many wats do i need?

Hey folks, i like led lights, i just acquired 5’ x 5’ tent, how many much light (wats) do i need to cover that much space? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

@dbrn32 is the Light Guru. :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

1.21 gigawatts!! Oh wait, that’s time travel. Mrpeat has you connected :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s too funny

2 Likes

@imSICKkid is very knowledgeable of lighting also. I see him advising alot when waiting on Db.

2 Likes

Light isn’t really measured in watts, that is energy consumption. You should be looking for radiometric flux which is usually listed as PPF. For a 5x5, like 1500 umols/s or higher for flowering on 12 hour schedule.

3 Likes

Can you translate that English😁

3 Likes

Sure. Light A is 250 watt that runs at 1.3 umol/joule, light B is 250 watt that runs at 2.7 umol/joule. The PPF of light A is about 325 umols per second. The PPF of light B is about 675 umols per second.

Both are 250 watt lights. Light A by daily light integral standard will flower about 4 square feet. By the same standard light B will flower about 9 square feet. For what it’s worth, light A probably cost you $150-$200. Light B will run about $350-$500.

Keep in mind that just because a light is expensive, doesn’t make it a great light. That’s why you look for some kind of documentation on what you’re buying.

4 Likes

So for a 5x5 = 25sqf so i should need aprox 1800-2000 umols? Am i off ?

1 Like

I would look for 1500 as bare minimum, up to about 2000. You’re looking for ppfd average of no lower than 600 umols/s, and not really much need to be over 800 umols/s on ambient co2.