How many PHENO’S?

So i was wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on pheno types. Specifically how many different pheno types should you expect for REPUTABLE breeder? Like if i popped 20 beans from a good breeder what type of variation could i expect? 3-4-5 different phenos? 6-7-8? I feel like if a line is worked properly to start. You shouldn’t end up with a shit ton of different phenos in an F1. Let me know your thoughts? ……… as always this is a loaded question so answer at your own discrection! Lol @dbrn32 @Graysin @PurpNGold74 @kellydans @Amazon66 @GreggT @Spiney_norman @beardless @Mosca @VirginiaGrowBoy

5 Likes

You’d have to pheno hunt, there’s only a chance these two plants could produce these phenotypes…every seed is different

4 Likes

If bought from a reputable breeder and the strain has been worked for a few generations, you should see 1-2 pheno expressions. More phenos is a less worked strain :call_me_hand:t3:

7 Likes

By no means am I saying that more pheno expressions is a bad thing either, necessarily. But it’s nice to know up front what to expect rather then get a surprise. Thats what testers are for :wink:

5 Likes

Thank you kindly for the tag.

We fixing to get text book answer most likely.

I hear that term alot and thought it could mean many things in traits. Smell taste height and such.

Im here to listen on this subject.

3 Likes

What is a pheno expression?

3 Likes

I would think 5 or less if you’re doing it right.

2 Likes

The variations of a particular strains growth traits. Or recessive genes that havent been bred out completely causing random expressions of the parent plants.

3 Likes

I have seen some sellers state stats on how often a certain pheno will show.
The one that comes to mind was a red variety and the seller stated the red colors show at the rate of 1 in 6 plants.
Odds are deceptive though because it takes a large number to see that ratio accurately
You could grow 12 plants and have zero red ones. But if you grow 1000 then you could expect 166 to be red. Odds are a math nightmare.

5 Likes

The way the plant looks. Phenotypes are the physical appearances/traits. Genotypes are the internal genetics.

7 Likes

Like Matty said, depends on what breeding generation your seeds are. F1 are usually sharing most traits. F2 is where you will see most amount of differences.

2 Likes

This is something that drives me nuts!
I wish all listings told us what “generation” the seed where :confused:
Huge difference in variation from f1 to f5.

5 Likes

That’s a trick question. If a reputable breeder has tracked their generations, you could expect 1-2 phenos from their F5-F6 generations. You could expect several phenos from the F1 generation, but infinitely more in the F2 generation. Then fewer from F3 and onward as they hunted down the particular phenos.

Everything in my lineup is the F1 generation for right now. I probably won’t give out the F2s but will use them internally to breed down traits. Whoever your preferred breeder is, they shouldn’t be afraid to tell you the lineage.

6 Likes

Thank you everyone! For your input! I appreciate them all!

2 Likes