How many of you growers are using driverless COBs

Yeah I probably wouldn’t buy it but knowing what it is and how it works would help in general for just diagnostic tools by my vision and other senses

1 Like

Huh, @Donaldj I started this thread to ask about anyone using driverless COBs and somehow we got to here. @AmnesiaHaze you should use whatever you want to grow with. I’m playing with both DIY driverless COBs and LED lights bought on Amazon at the same time. @dbrn32 knows a lot about DC driven lights. I don’t think anyone should get mad when all we’re doing is bouncing ideas.

4 Likes

:+1::wink:I agree on that one

What kind of quality did they produce? I just ordered a 50 watt full spectrum and a 50 watt 3000k to throw in the room to give it a try

@monsterblackbass what brand of COB Did you order? Like a citizen or Cree?

1 Like

Not very good @monsterblackbass. They don’t put out very good light compared to the heat they produce. I had to abandon them and build a setup using “good” Cobs and drivers.

1 Like

@OldSkunk passive or active heat sink? What wattage were they?

I had to use active cooling. They are 50 watt full spectrum.

Cool, my area is pretty big so i can handle the heat for an experiment. @OldSkunk So you didnt finish a grow under them right? @Covertgrower the ones the thread originally talked about. The cheep ass chinese 110v internally driven cobs.haha I have 4 3590 3500k and 3 x (about 150 wall watts) viparspectra full spect now. Im moving to a larger area 3x11x8(h) and will be adding 4 more cxb in but out of curiosity i was wondering what running one corner with 2x 50w 3000k cheapos and 2x 30w full spect would do is all. They claim 70-80cri. This is more about investigating then practicality. I hardly feel like being carless and getting hit with 110v just cause i moved a light. Haha. But if the heat is workable and it flowers ok why not throw a girl under em and let her ride…???

@monsterblackbass The driverless COB’s are not recommended, and aren’t efficient at all. @OldSkunk can vouch for that. The CXB’a will work wonders. There are many others that have Cree COB’s and as long as other conditions are right, it will grow very well. Check out @Daddy thread for the Cree CXB3590 COB grow. His are 3000K 90CRI. He really has his space dialed in.

1 Like

@Covertgrower i guess you arent reading the whole post?? I already run 4 cxb 3590 3500k. Im familiar with the quality they produce. But thank you for the link in case i didnt. Im just looking into these things as an experiment to see quality they can produce. All @OldSkunk told me was they ran hot and he abandoned them.

Yep, I missed his post. Sorry about that! @monsterblackbass

@monsterblackbass @Covertgrower was just trying to help but didn’t explain in more detail. What I can tell you is that watts are watts. Those lights convert alot of the watts into heat so the efficacy is very low. Will they grow? Sure but in the long run the wasted energy will eat up any initial cost savings.

3 Likes

It’s not just that they run hot. They just don’t put out good light compared to the amount they draw in current. The Chinese 600w (actual 300 watt)LED lights I bought put out more light and much less heat than the 300 watt driverless cob setup I built. I guess for $3 a piece for the driverless Cobs, I got what I paid for. And I totally agree with @Daddy that it’s just not worth it if you want to grow good weed. My 400 watt Citizen Cob light I built grows better than 600 watts of Chinese LED lights. Much better.

1 Like

@Covertgrower @OldSkunk all the info you guys or gals? Have given me is very helpful. Im still gonna try the couple i planned on testing. Hell i already bought em. I was never expecting much anyway. I just ordered the 4 cxb im adding to the 4 i have once i switch rooms. The cheapos will run individually on active 100mm heatsink so maybe that will help with heat dissipation. Hahahah once i switch i will update this post with pics and then some pics of what they do start to finish hahah im interested to see how crappy they really are. Thank again ONE LOVE

1 Like

@covertgrower @OldSkunk ok so just a little update. I got the internally driven 50w 3000k cob and the active heatsink, soldered, goed up, screw her down. 120° glass lense. Let it run in laundry for 6 hrs. I could seriously put my toungue on the lens. Since then moved it into my 3x3 in the back corner on a part of a ILGM Northern Lights. I have to say it puts out nice looking light and its pretty bright…??? I guess we will see pics below of the cob setup and a couple of my Amnesia Haze thats finishing and a NL that has 3 weeks left and is monstering up. Hahahah. ONE LOVE!![

Cob

1 Like

50wt only 12 inches from cola

1 Like

Amnesia haze auto

1 Like

NL auto

1 Like

Hope it’s better for you than it was for me. I still have a dozen of the 50 watt full spectrum Cobs that I’ll never use.

3 Likes