How long to hang plants

I have a Goo outdoor grow plant I have hanging in a cool dark ventilated place. How long should I let it hang before putting in canning jars?
Thanks

You want the stem to bend, but not snap. Be cautious with thick flowers as they can retain moisture deep inside. When in doubt let it dry longer. Mold is the worst.

Times can vary based on conditions. Usually I go at least 5-7 days, sometimes longer. Humidity around 50-60%.

3 Likes

Well shoot, I thought you were suppose to wait until the branch snapped. It’s been a solid 7 days mine have been hanging now. When I go to bend it, it’ll indent itself and bend but not snap. Would you say they’re about ready?

That sounds fairly accurate. Again it’s difficult to explain “dryness” with out a physical description in your hand.
Always check the thickest ones, those are the ones that will sneak up on you and they’re not dry @Dr.Zooted

1 Like

Can you let them hang too long and ruin the potency of the bud?

Our humidity is low. Up in the Sierras around 5000 ft elev. Also, will I need the dehumidifier packets when storing in jars?
Thanks

Check them but lightly squeezing the buds right?

Sorry man, I’m still learning this process as well or I would try and answer some of your questions. But I don’t want to lead you astray. I’ve seen integra and boveda humidity packs used most commonly for storing of the buds in jars. I’ve also read some people say that they use the packs solely for storing the buds and not during the curing process. It’s all up to you though.

Easiest way is to take a bud and put it in a jar with a mini hygrometer. If it’s close to 70% humidity, it’s still wet. If it’s close to 60% it’s dry. Give it some time in the jar to let the humidity settle

3 Likes

You will want some humidity monitors, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP49-Hygrometer-Thermometer-Temperature/dp/B07WCR5Y4B/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=humidity+monitor&link_code=qs&qid=1600021270&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-3&tag=mozilla-20

Don’t add Boveda or Boost packets until you are close to your target moisture level.

Thank you sir, will do that. :+1:t4:

1 Like

Thanks. Looks like the right tool for the job. Appreciate the help!

I take some bud and fill a ziplock bag with a hydrometer in it and let is sit 3 or 4 hours and see what the humidity is

2 Likes

I personally prefer Smoking moist Buds, How do you store it moist without molding, A friend grower told me he put some dry rice in his jars, not sure about that, he’s going the cheap route

Hello covertgrower :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:t2: I Would like to ask you a question, is it a good practice to pull the whole plant out and and cure upside down?Thank you!

You can do it that way too. Then dry trim if you prefer. Works either way.

Thank you Sir!

1 Like

I just cut off the branches and hung each individually. 7-10 days where I’m at, then trimmed and put in large canning jars. I burp them twice a day. Turning out to be some very tasty bud.

1 Like

I have shitloads of bud to dry, so I use window sceens and wooden blocks. I remove all fan leaves and leave sugar leaves. Trim the bulk of the stems out so they take up less space per rack. Turn the roo. To 60 Rh and constant flow of fresh air through the room. Lights out.
Carefully rotate buds every 2 days for about 8 or 9 days. Once the buds are totally dry sugar leaves and sorta spongy I take a sample and jar it with a meter and wait for a few hours at room temp. Check moisture content. That will let me know what the overall moisture content of the room is before I jar and cure.

2 Likes

Hi friend! Can you tell me, if I try and keep my plants alive through the winter can I expect that they will continue to have buds again, or are they only going to flower once?
Thank you, Blackjeti