How Long Germination

How long should it take for a seed to start germinating when placed in water? I have a seed that has been in water for 4 days now and there isn’t any sign of germination.

2 Likes

Anywhere from 1 to 3 days. I’ve had some go 2 days just depends on your method. I prefer the shot glass method with regular tap water in a warm spot ideally in the high 70 to mid 80s

4 Likes

I normally leave seeds in a cup of water 24 hours then remove place Between damp paper towels clam shelled between 2 saucers. After 4 days in water it would be best to remove seeds.

9 Likes

I go 12-18 hours in 10ml’s of distilled water with 3 or 4 drops of peroxide. Tail or not, after 18, to a paper towel on a plate. Dump seed and water on paper towel, fold in half. 12-18 hours later, in the medium. No more than 36 hours total. All have germed for me.

6 Likes

I e never done the glass of water method. Any seeds I’ve ever seen or germinated myself have been in paper towels for 18-24 hrs. Long enough to get the tap root out about 1/4 - 1/2 inch. I’m also a new grower so that’s just been my experience.

2 Likes

Soaking the seed in water for 24 hours it just helps soften the shell makes it a little easier to open an sprout. :v::+1:

5 Likes

So, I’m guessing this seed is no good?

Throw it between a few damp paper towels, in between plates like a clam and see what happens after a few days…might surprise you.

5 Likes

I give it a shot. Thanks!

1 Like

Make sure you put them somewhere warm like on your cable box

2 Likes

Hot water heater is a good place as well to keep ‘em warm

2 Likes

Also… Put the damp paper toweled seeds in a sandwich baggy… It stops the towel from drying out.

1 Like

So for what’s it worth I just put 4 seeds in water last night, all in separate shot glass which is probably over kill. I have a vent that comes out in bottom of closet, sit shot glasses right in front of vent and keep door shut so it stays warm, check in this morning before work 2 have already started to open. I think most important thing is a warm, dark place, I don’t do the paper towel method, it’s been over 2 days and have nave no tail then I put in paper towel and place in ziplock bag, keep temps up and humidity up as well

LIke the others said.

Thank you. I like that better than the wet paper towel between the 2 saucers. I just placed the wet paper towel with the seed sandwiched in a Zip Loc bag and placed it on top of my refrigerator where t’s always warm. I get back in 2 days with the results.

1 Like

@Old_School That’s where I germinate…48 hours in water… Then if no tail… Into damp paper towel in a sandwich baggy… I then stick that in between a couple small paper bowls or plates to keep it dark. Once tails are 1/8 inch or so into rapid rooters they go.

1 Like

I would get ur seeds out of the water ,go get make up removel pads just the cotton pads spray the pad with water not to much water then put ur seed on the pad put another pad on top and spray the pad put on a plate and cover with plastic wrap with in 24-30 hours tthey should of popped

Okay the results are in and thank you all for your help. After 48 hours I looked at the seed that I put between 2 paper towels and into a zip loc bag on top of my fridge. It was between the fridge and an above cabinet which kept it in the dark for the most part. And low and behold the seed was alive. It had a root of at least 3/8". I wish I would have done this with other seeds I had that I thought were dead. Thanks again!

2 Likes