How long does it take a chopped plant to get to it's peak thc value?

i have noticed that the plant i chopped 3 weeks ago and started smoking a week ago is getting better as it gets older. how long does it take for the thc to peak? once it peaks, does it start losing it’s potency after a time. if anyone knows where i can find some scientific study’s documenting this subject i would much appreciate it. i have done some searching and can’t find anything other than folks talking about it, no facts.

@dbrn32 @elheffe702 @garrigan62 @MattyBear

2 Likes

I believe there is something in Greg greens grow Bible that has facts on thc degrade after peak and how sunlight exponentially degrades it. Let me scroll thru my PDF and see if I can get some screen shots

3 Likes

does drying or age or both have an influence on when the thc gets to peak?

Both I believe. Once it hit dryness (for me about a week) then after aging (two weeks in the dark for me) it’s right about where I like it to be.

2 Likes

my understanding is that there is no thc in the plant until it dies, and then the chemical changes begin. this could be completely wrong.

Good question, I have no idea really. I will keep an eye out for reference material though.

2 Likes

I’m looking. It’s hundreds of pages.

1 Like

In that case I’ll probably let you look haha!

2 Likes

It says when harvested it 80%-75% water it’s considered cured at 30%-25% and most potent when it hits 15%-20% below 15% it can turn into a powder.
(I’m not sure how one would know the moisture content without a testing device of some sort.)
It goes on to say that the current dry and cure method is used because it’s guess work really without testing. It’s more an avg of how long it takes for the natural process and the natural decarb that happens in the process to take place. It says dry 5-7 days, stems snap without the breaking. 10-14 days for curing in the dark with the lid off for 15 minutes circulate buds, air another 15 mins once a day…basic method most people use I think other than drying and curing baskets and quick dryers. So I gather when it hits 15% moisture content is when the thc would be the most potent.

7 Likes

im pretty sure what thc is there at harvest - hence hps lights r critical - that’s it ---- dry/cure is to get water green/chloro out of it for taste/harshness

What thc is there at harvest is what’s there but the drier it is the less water your evaporating into steam. Steam cooks the thc before you could even have a chance to inhale it. So the drier it is the more thc your going to intake which makes the bud as a whole more potent not necessarily the thc

1 Like

If dried correctly, and then put In Masson jars, and stored correctly, and burned, you will find it hits it’s peak at about 4/6 months, it will just keep getting better, and can be kept for a few years. Mr willd would have been the best to answer this question.

1 Like