How long do I leave a male plant with a female plant to create a new strains

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks

How long do I leave a male plant with a female plant to create a new strains

2 Likes

Once you notice the pollen sacks open up he has done his job

1 Like

Then comes the hard part: Isolating the many phenotypes you get. Each seed will be different. Some may make low THC, some may make a lot. You need to grow out a bunch and then see how they come out. To do that, make a bunch of mother plants and then take a clone from each. Raise the clones to maturity, harvest, and cure. The ones you like, you keep cloning from that mother. The ones you don’t like, cull the mothers.

This is why breeding is difficult. Sexual reproduction is like rolling the dice, except the dice have 100 sides.

3 Likes

One male plant can seed a whole greenhouse full of females. Be careful what you ask for.
Each male pod(dingle berry) literally has millions of tiny yellow male pollen aching to find a sweet tender white pistil on a female plant. If you have fertile females around…separate the male. Don’t go see the male until last. Pollen can get on your clothes and then the female.

If you want to breed, either park male next to female until pods burst. OR…collect the pollen, use a q tip to fertilize the female seed flowers. Once fertilized the white pistil turns red and dies.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice , I will be following it