How long before the seedlings surface?, was an inch too much?

Not sure if it was directed at you but wanted to express my concern about ph not being an issue when it so clearly can be :smile

Agreed, pH is of utmost importance. A good soil can buffer pH, and if everything is done right, maybe without knowing everything was done right, the soil’s pH shouldn’t fluctuate much. However, all it takes is as simple and “normal” of a thing as watering with hard tap water that happens to have a high pH, and it can build up in the soil and then cause significant problems before or by the time they get to flower.

Also, many off the shelf plant foods, and even highly organic composted soils can easily become too acidic, and rarely do new growers know the difference, it is best to get them to understand and start thinking about pH right away.

I would have to also agree, 90% and more, of the problems most new growers have coming to this forum are almost always pH related.

Happy growing,

MacG

1 Like

Ya last time I looked I was garrigan62…lol
I’ve been here from the beginning or pretty dam close to it and just like you said and MacGyver PH at the top of the list for new growers then over watering and lights. But it mostly winds up being the PH. Most soil bought by new growers already has nutrients in the soil then they start feeding the plants they even feed new seedlings way before there time. And then the trouble begins.

Will

And here’s where the mystery begins…both girls are getting watered with the same water ( tap water left out to evaporate the chemicals ) I should be getting my P.H testing kit in a couple of days ( just waiting on ups ) …so both plants getting same water, both watered at same time , environmental conditions are the same ( at the moment lighting is 12 23 watt CFL’s 65k and 27k, in a 3’x3’x6’ tent, each plant is in a 3 gallon smart pot , they are auto flowering feminised 60% indica 30% sativa 10% rudelius…the strain is “Candy Cane”, ) The sprouted seeds were planted november 11th and surfaced (maybe this is the problem…lol ) Friday November 13th…the soil I used is FFOF…what I’m afraid may be the case is a root problem “Lock out”?..I don’t know it is very frustrating …the LED lights along with some more fans should be in this week coming up …and I’ll be going light on the feeding schedule ( until I know how they will take to the nutrients ) the temperature has been stable at about 80 degrees and the humidity has been pretty much at its highest 40%…but most of the time its at 30%, I’m hoping it is just a water P.H. problem and I can fix it in enough time…But why is the other one of my girls thriving while the other slowing and is about to go into critical care?..and I won’t start the regular feedings until I’ve got the water P.H.ed properly with the nutrients…thank all of you for your responses and help…Because I’m trying to save one of my “Girls”…PEACE

Some hybrid strains are way more sensitive than others ?

genetics they are grown from seeds and much like you or I some may be big some small some short some tall, prone to illness healthy as a horse.

Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one last 10 seeds I planted had very different plants all fed same watered in same medium so why are 2 shorter 2 bushy 2 tall and the rest around the same size? They started as seeds

I spoke of the very same thing in another thread not so long ago. A fellow grower want to know why some of his plants were different being same strain. It all boiled down to genetics.

Will

Hybrids don’t really have an exact genetic repeat characteristics . So do and some don’t , which is very common . This is what initiated cloning , because a clone is of that mother , and clones can give a sea of green perpetual harvest every 2- 3 1/2 months , being cut from the mother , rooted l and put in flower for a fairly decent cola top . Which some prefer that method , but for as me , I like growing from seed , which give memory options of training , and get the maximum out of a plant , instead of a continuos flow of the same strain . Now once I find that strain I like the best , and clients are happy as well , than I’ll clone from that maybe , but I had a tremendous amount of seeds from at least 4 different seed banks , and I’m still not finished with Robert genetics to start others .

Kane you looking good buddy , maybe when you get finished , you might can help me to get a great harvest .

Hi all, hope I can help in some way someday yoshi…thanks, Well one thing I’m learning is if you pay attention your “Ladies” will let you know when they need a drink ( well one did anyway…lol ) heres whats going on as of now, both "plants are 27 days old ( from planting in their pots ) and I’m posting two photos ( sorry for the quality hope you can still make out what I’m talking about…) the first photo is the “Girl” thats not doing well she’s 5 inches tall and has virtually stopped growing in height and yet she has ( ever so slowly ) began flowering like her sister who is about 7 inches and still growing strong, But both have bottom leafs that are yellowing and I’ve already removed some dead leaves , It’s the lowest leafs that are yellowing I looked this up and here’s what I’m thinking as I read when the “Girls” start to flower …( and both are , hope you can see that ) it’s common…but what are your thoughts on this?..I thought maybe it a cal-mag problem, but it’s a blotchy fading yellowing…they will get their first “Small” feeding tomorrow ( I’m only going about a quarter strength to see how they react ) but I’d greatly appreciate to know your thoughts on the matter…Thanks again …Peace

1 Like

your plants p-k needs change drastically in flower and Cal-mag def starts to show check your soil ph and tds if you have fed often in last 27 days she may also have salt build ups. I usually flush/rinse my plants a week before they go into flower, check runoff ph if it’s lower than 6 you have cal-mag def.

To avoid - one should flush your plant’s every week of growth

Kane they ready to eat buddy , nothing wrong , just your soil don’t have enough of what they need to develop , so now it’s time to feed , they need more nitrogen . But yes flush your soil and than give them they first measure feeding , after that ph water , than ph water again , than a full feeding , and you let us know how they doing .

I would flush , then start them off slow with the nutrients. Like 1/4 of the feeding and increase it once a week you don’t over load her on recovery.

Will

Hi and thank you all, ( I’m a very relieved parent…lol ), After doing some researching last night ( before you all wrote back to me ) I went to a site that had pictures of different plants with problems and from all of them my "Girls symptoms were going straight to Nitrogen deficiency and over or under watering…and all I’ve had drummed into my head since starting ( not from you all ) is beginners over water…or it’s your PH!..lol, anyway before I went to bed I looked in on my girls and my one that was in critical condition had me thinking she wasn’t going to make it thru the night, well I’d only been asleep about 3 hrs and I awoke with a feeling that death was imminent!..My P. H. kit still hadn’t come in yet and I didn’t want to do the feeding with the water not PH tested yet, But I immediately went to the tent and my girl was just a stalk and all the stems and leafs had completely collapsed and she looked dead…at that point I felt the water had been fine so the P H testing would have to wait and I flooded both pots ( they’re fabric growing pots ) and mixed they’re food ( I’m using "Earth Juice " Grow, Bloom and Catalyst ) Thinking I’ll either kill her or cure her…( since my girls are autos I decided to go with the full compliment of foods at 1/2 dose )…in about an hour my sickest girl’s leaves were fanned out and both of them looking WAY better and doing great!., my conclusion was that my FFOF soil nutrients had all been depleted …and since the air has been extremely dry the soil has been drying out extremely fast…( Hell even with a Gallon of water poured in each pot they seem to dry out in two to three days!..Here’s a couple of photos from this evening…Hope you can see the difference from the last ones…Sorry for being so long winded, I like to share…lol, thank you all again all my best…PEACE…p.s. tested my water and the p.h. is 6.4.

1 Like

Good deal, I’m glad you got her healthy again. As we say here in the forum…it’s all a learning experience. And if you keep a journal you can use it in your future grows as reference.

B Safe

Will

Thanks “garrigan 62”, “Yoshi” and everybody who’s given me help and encouragement…But again I ask for your wisdom and opinions on a couple of matters , First , in the picture is both “Girls” and as you can see it’s hard to believe ( for me anyway…lol ) that they’re the same strain But than again the plant on the left was the one that I thought was pretty much going to die and her sister on the right looks quite normal ( except she grew out of the soil sideways…no joke ) I’d like to hear your opinions about this, Also from what I’ve seen so far LED’s are amazing! both plants are REALLY growing faster and they’re leafs are a nice healthy deep green , the “stunted” one on the left has started reaching for the LED light, while the girl on the right…well 4 inchs growth in 2 days!..Yoshi you had said you grow with LEDs I’m thinking rapid vertical growth is normal with LED grow lights, Because I must say the vertical growth is amazing!, . But as far as my plant on the left ( the little one ) at this point I’m seeing two entirely different plants. I see buds but the “Hairs” are super tiny…even though these are feminised autoflowering plants…could that one be a male or maybe she “Hermied” due to all the stress…or???, All of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated…oh and the LED light is 24 inches from the top of the smallest one…thanks all of you for all your help and input…and yes I’m pretty sure I’ve got a Cal-mag deficiency, But please tell me what you really think…(( just be kind…lol ) Happy holidays everyone…PEACE

Hi Everyone and happy new year, Again I have an issue that’s got me concerned and a bit stumped. My plants are in full bloom and they are now filling in they’re bud sights , But there is leaf yellowing from the edges and some leafs are dying off!, hopefully you can see in the photos ( sorry about the glare ) I’m thinking cal-mag deficiency?..I could really use all your thoughts on this matter , My P.H has been 6.2 to 6.8 I’m using “Earth Juice” nutrients 300 watt full spectrum LED and 4 27K and 4 65K cfls temp is steady at 75 to 80 degrees max and humidity is usually 30%+. The girls are thirsty ( I have to water about every 4 to 5 days ) and since they are auto flowers they seem to like the light schedule at 19 on 5 off…Please give me your thoughts and advice , you all have been a great help and your knowledge is greatly appreciated…Peace

If you switching to flower you need to switch 12/12 for at least 4-6 weeks , and don’t removed your nitrogen to fast from the transition , will cause rapid yellowing and burn tips . You need at least 1% of nitrogen until week 4 in flower . Hope this helps !!!

That was one of thee most informative beginners articles I"ve read on this forum in the last 3 weeks @MacGyverStoner and @latewood should be proud of your efforts,that just answered many of my questions I was thinking of asking.
My ILGM seeds just started sprouting , six are in Cocca Coir and three are in Miracle Grow( don’t cringe) starter soil. I wasnt told to use perlite in either, although I Just bought some after the fact, This is my first time starting plants indoors under lights(I have 34 watt c f l ) I ph"d the water and is good, added nutes to the Cocoa Coir and let em go. I’m kinda pissed my Hydro guy at the store near me didn’t explain the process a little better( as yours was awesome and very clear)
It seems my MG plants are doing good, a couple of my Coca Coir plants don’t look right, the leaves seem to be curling under already( theyre only 1 inch tall) Soo this seems to be a work in progress, Now I’m questioning the starter tray he sold me( looks like a double plastic egg carton) seems kind small. I have ten more seeds and abut ten weeks of good Outdoor grow time( with two weeks) being started inside. I’m thinking of germing 2-3 more seeds and planting them in tilled soil outside and doing what I am used to, , Tilled mixed soil, light nutes , perlite and let em grow. IDK
Any way , Thanks @yoshi