How far does the smell of smoke travel?

I’m not sure this is in the right category … didn’t know where to put it. We just recently repainted the house top to bottom and decided to smoke only outdoors. It’s not a problem with the cigs, but I’m wondering how far the smoke will travel from a joint. My front porch is pretty well surrounded by trees and part of the house. The side and back porches are too close to the neighbor who is about 30 yards from me … all the other neighbors are farther than that. I worry that the neighbor closest to me can smell the smoke. They have a 28 year-old punk kid who lives with them who wouldn’t hesitate to bust me or steal my plants. Also, I wonder if the smoke can travel 50 yards across my fields when the wind is blowing … don’t want the people who live down the road to smell it either.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Living in a place where the minimum jail time is 5 years for growing a single plant sucks!!! If you get busted here for possession of a small amount (a couple of joints), you might get probation but they will take away your driver’s license for six months and you have to go to drug rehab.

MT

PS … If I was to smoke in the bathroom with the vent on … where does the smoke come out? Is it from the little thingy on top of the house and can the neighbors smell smoke if it comes from there.

Hate to tell you this, unless the wind is honking that smoke will be smelled a good distance away, maybe not all but certainly whiffs of it.
Your bathroom fan depends on if it’s just vented to attic space or through a duct to the outside. I’ve seen both. To the attic maybe not butt’ll stink up your attic over time and still will drift from vents around the outside of the house, vented to the roof might as be outdoors cause the smoke will drift with the wind.
I don’t smoke cigarettes but maybe you could do a tobacco ‘blunt’ and minimize the smell I don’t know.
But a punk kid will smell it 100 yards away. I live in a similar state and just take a hit or two to minimize the smoke being very careful no one around me is outside, but that’s the chance we take living in a such a backassward state.

Hopefully someone here will have a good answer.

Good luck

Odor can travel a long way on the wind. Ask anyone who lives within 20 miles of a dog food factory or pig farm. I think vaping is less odor or doing one hitters will help. I used to take a bowl or joint with me on rehab walks at a state park on a back trail and would have folks comment about a skunk in the area minutes after I had put it out.

3 Likes

If you are worried about the smoke/smell, a joint is the worst form of consumption you could pick, because a joint continues to smoke even when you aren’t. I smoke on the back deck of my suburban home, but I use a one-hitter, and wait a few minutes between hits. The smell will still travel, but only a fraction of what a joint does.

3 Likes

i agree with @Stomper vapeing will lessen the odor by far if smoking .Hammer

4 Likes

Last time I make cannabutter I realized yet again how much I missed my 20 acres in New Hampshire, and also that I’m going to have to start making this at night while my new and now much nearer neighbor’s sleep :frowning:

1 Like

Paranorman … I’ve only got one neighbor kind of close to me (we have 5 acres). If the wind is blowing in his direction, I smoke in my home office. Otherwise, it’s pretty safe for me to smoke a joint on the deck or back steps. It just gets a little stressful sometimes having to even worry about this stuff.

Hammer and Stomper … I’ve never tried vaping. Do you need special equipment for that?

Sneed … I’ve got a one-hitter and a pipe, but I really prefer to smoke a joint.

Flyer … I decided against smoking under the bathroom vent, as I don’t want all that smoke in the attic area or streaming out of the top of my house.

I’m just whining cause it sucks that MJ (medical or otherwise) is so very illegal here. I have a good camouflage outside for the 7 plants I’m growing … but also worry that when they get bigger the smell of the plants will travel too.

What the hell … I need a puff after all that stress!!

MT

1 Like

@MT1 Lol I hear you! Even tho I’m legal I still don’t want people to know what’s up. unfortunately I’m in the city now and we all live on little postage-stamp Lots here, boy do I miss my acreage

Last time I made butter OMG it was some killer strength much stronger than the first time and my neighbors were out gardening on one side, I had to shut the window put the AC on & pray ! …now on I’ll just do it at night, I do most of my gardening is at night anyway

2 Likes

I have had people come to my house and say they knew I was home cause they could smell it half a mile way. It was some strong stuff, another neighbor only 200 yds away calls my wife all the saying how good my yard smells .
But I’ve had people walk while I was smoking and not smell kush so I guess it’s how well some one can smell but pot travels like a train.

Okay I smoke on the 2nd story and know for a fact my meighbors have smelled it . So I made this . It is not stealth as @Capt_Seeweed pointed out anyone who sees this will know what it is for but if smell is all you are worried about thae a old plastic bottle stuff 4 or 5 paper towels or some tp in the bottom then a few dryer sheets and some more paper on top poke holes in it and exhale through the bottle and 95 % of the smell is laundry just don’t breathe in it takes 2 hours to get the taste out of your mouth good luck let me know if this helps

4 Likes

Or just use a Vape. Then no smell at all.

1 Like

@MT1
I smoke indoors at times and use 1 of these to kill the Oder
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01G62N5SO/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?tag=greenrel-20

4 Likes

I can smell my buddy across street if wind is right and I live in the country so he around a 100 yards from me just to say

2 Likes

Are you smelling your buddy? Or his plants? Just had to ask.

2 Likes

@4superskunk @Rugar89
Smoke travels around the world

2 Likes

@hillbilly103
Well get it headed this way!

1 Like

@Rugar89 lol his weed he be smoking and no I can’t smell them yet

1 Like

You guys are funny. I’ve given up smoking outside until winter. Too hot and humid out now, plus not much of a breeze.

1 Like

@MT1 Need some redneck ac cooler full of ice a fan and some plastic drainage pipe works good done it a few times camping

1 Like

@Rugar89 how do those vape pens work compared to a bowl ? Do you go tjrough more weed to get to the finish line?

1 Like