How does yield per square meter translate to per plant?

@bob31 is right it’s based off of the fact if you can take one plant in vegetative time to fill a 8 x 8 tent or a 4 x 4 tent initially you’re going to yield that much product …that is the purpose for the scrog is because you fill the whole screen there for covering your whole area …you can do that with one plant or 20 plants it doesn’t really matter based off of your area is how you will base your yield and then factor in how good you are at growing , how well you are at reading your plants and knowing what they want and that’s going to give you the other half of your yield …so there’s a lot of things to think about when trying to calculate these numbers …also you have to factor in your lighting as well…
Like @bob31 said , there is no real formula… it’s all just a guestamation on what you will yeild… after a few years at this you will have a better idea of things that you can expect from each grow or strain… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Amen @peachfuzz :+1: :ok_hand: :innocent::grinning:

3 Likes

@peachfuzz and @bob31 coming through with better explanations of this than I’ve seen in a while.

The breeders know there are too many variables to give a yield per plant. So they give it in area, and within reason it doesn’t usually matter how you get to that square meter of plants. 1 plant, 2 plants, or 9 plants. Less plants means longer veg time and more yield per plant. More plants mean shorter veg time and lower yield per plant. But either way should have potential to produce roughly the same amount.

That being said, breeders estimates can be a little difficult to reach for new to average growers. I don’t want to say they lie, but you would probably have to have your $hit together to attain high end estimate. In your case, with a high yielding strain, you should be looking to be in the neighborhood of between 500-1000 grams for a full 4x4. Not the a gram per watt is the norm, but is attainable with a solid grow and the right strain.

2 Likes

Thank you all very much for answering in a way I can understand (and not making it seem like a silly question) :sunglasses: I didn’t get why it is stated the way it is but now I do. Also, I feel like I’m realistic about the variables, mostly that I am a new beginner. :wink:
It’s not uncommon that I over-think things and make them more confusing than necessary :confused:

2 Likes

This is probably the most important aspect of growing…
Take it easy and do not overthink stuff…

I said once here that the best thing for plant to happen is that the grower is so busy that has no time to attend the plant more than once a day…:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

3 Likes

That’s great advice!! My mom always had faith that I would eventually learn to be patient :sweat_smile::grin::wink:

2 Likes

Lol , I never learned patience really, but good medicine sure helps…:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

By the way, in your 4 x 4 tent you probably should start with a minimum of 4 plants. Then veg them until they fill a SCROG screen about 24 inches above the pots. It would be faster if you can grow more plants: Less vegging to fill smaller screen areas. You could actually get 16 plants in there. Might depend on laws in your state, some of which permit 6 flowering plants.

But 4 or 16, you would get a maximum of the stated yield per square meter if you do everything right and have some luck.

1 Like

I have 4 that are a month old and they will move into the tent soon. 2 each sativa dominant and indica dominant. One is a fem auto my sis bought and gave me, Bubba Kush. The other 3 are bag seeds; one is Sour Diesel the other 2 are unknown.

4 Likes

16 plants in a 4x4 isn’t very ambitious if you’re going that route. Here are 16 in a 2x2

6 Likes

Beautiful!
Legally, we’re limited to 12 plants total (6 for each adult) regardless of the state of the plants (seedling, veg, flower) I think we’ll stick with 4 in the tent and 4 veg in the closet… get a cycle going :sunglasses:

1 Like

You’re setting yourself up for a tricky situation. Those sativa dominant will likely stretch out more than the indica, and likely have different flowering times as well.

Not the end of the world, but you should probably be prepared for it.

2 Likes

I wasn’t in any way suggesting you should try that, just having a little fun. It’s kind of a pain.

1 Like

I thought of that only recently. I think we’ll develop some kind of bench to raise the little ones up to the same level. I think I’ll be ok if they are not on the same flower schedule… the others can continue to veg in the closet. I don’t know that I’ll do both on the next grow…

1 Like

I’m growing a bunch of different strains and they really have different heights as they grow, and as they mature. That can be a pain in a tent or closet because you have to keep raising the light so you don’t burn the tallest. and then the shorties get light-deprived.

My solution: One strain inside and the others outside. You could SCROG them so they all had the same vegetative height, but then they stretch different amounts when you flower them,

1 Like

I’m having a blast!! Making mistakes, getting some things right, still growing and producing my own :sunglasses::sunglasses: I’m feeling particularly pleased having just harvested my first real grow, a single bag seed of unknown strain: 223.6 g straight off the branch and trimmed :green_heart::v: I’m guessing around 74 g once it’s dried, based on what I’ve seen others post. I’m happy with that considering I found this group when she was nearly done flowering. I’ve already learned so much :ok_hand: and know I have so much more to learn

7 Likes

They look great!

Harvesting at different times usually isn’t a big deal unless you plan on using your grow area for drying. If you have other arrangements, no big deal at all.

2 Likes

I almost can’t believe that a plant I cared for produced such beauties! :sunglasses: A little knowledge goes a long way :wink: I can hardly wait to see what the next batch puts out :grin:

2 Likes

I posted my harvest story over on this thread, if you’re interested:

1 Like

I was just rereading some past posts and was so glad to come across this again! I couldn’t remember who said it or where I saw it, but this advice has really helped me :sunglasses:
I have 3 gals on harvest watch and I owe all my success to the help and info I received from all the kind folks here :green_heart:

3 Likes