How does this make sense?

So I just flushed my plant because I’ve been chasing nutrient lockout. The first gallon straight RO Runoff was EC of 2.11ms, which is just around what my feed is using Jack’s 321. Second gallon came in at an EC of 3ms! Does anyone know the logic of why the EC was higher on the second gallon, or was it just me not reading the meter correctly the first time maybe?

I’m almost wondering if since my pot is a long rectangular shape, that I’m not actually wetting all of the soil fully, leaving pockets of nutrients built up? I get a good amount of runoff though… :man_shrugging:

Plant is in FFHF.

1 Like

If I had to guess the 1st gallons loosened and connected more nutrients to the rootball that then got absorbed so by the 2nd gallon you were getting purely everything that the rootball didn’t/couldn’t absorb

2 Likes

Ahh that makes sense. If that does happen to be the issue, what’s the solution for not having that happen in the future? Give more water each feed? And make sure it is evenly distributed lol

Is it really a problem as long as your getting a 10-20 % runoff everytime you water with jacks your rotating it anyways

1 Like

Hmm… Maybe I’m not getting as much runoff as I thought. Will increase to 1.5 gallons per feed.

First gallon followed path of least resistance to your tray for the most part, but enough of the 1st gallon was absorbed to better distribute the water into the medium more slowly in the 2nd gallon

If I want to know for sure I do a slurry test

1 Like

That’s true… I maybe should’ve done a slurry test… But at this point it’s too late really. It ended up getting almost 4 gallons straight RO, then a gallon Jacks Full Strength

1 Like

@Dankloud You know, I wonder this myself.

My first grow I faced environmental issues that I documented. I had so much more faith going into the second.

Upgraded from poorly filled 3 gal pots (and had to transplant one lol), and I have 5 gal square pots now. And damnit you know what? I’m facing calcium deficiencies and boggling my brain.

You’ll get there man. This place is awesome for help

2 Likes

@ThermoNukePanda Happy Cake Day!

Yeah I’m thinking I just need more runoff lol. Training isn’t hard, defoliation isn’t hard, but I’ll be damned if I can screw up a plant right before flower lmao

2 Likes

That is where it always starts is during the transition it seems lol. I’m with ya

1 Like