How does this look and other questions - OG Kush

Hi Everyone! Love this forum. I am attaching a few pics of my plant. First, does it look healthy? (first time grower). Second, I keep reading about the transition from vegetative to flowering? Is this something I actually force or does it happen naturally and then I switch my light to flowering? Once flowering occurs - how long do I let it flower before I harvest? Strain: OG Kush. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Welcome! Is that an auto flower or regular? I’ve never done an auto, but if it’s a regular than you should be 18 hrs light on, 6 hrs off (others may vary with this but that seems to be the light schedule that many use). When you are ready to switch to flower, change the schedule to 12 hrs on, 12 hrs off. Thatll trigger the plant to do its thing. Hope that helps!

It is an auto flower. At what point will I know when to switch to flower with my lighting? Seems to me this plant should get a bit bigger or bushier. Also, Should the OG Kush get more bushy or should it stay stalky?

1 Like

Autos generally don’t need anything: just let em go until they’re done. Rare occasions you may have to go to 12/12 just to initiate flowering but in general you can leave em alone. I would probably still run 12/12 in flower just to save on $$ and won’t make any difference in your harvest.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I do a ton of autos. I’ve tried every cycle from 24/0 to 15/9 for whatever reason 19/5 has gotten my best but 18/6 is right behind it. I leave it that way forever. From my experience I would advise against going over 19 hours of light.

Thanks for your reply. So you do 19/5 or 18/6 through vegetative and flowering stages? My LED light has a setting for “flowering” - I should switch to that light spectrum once my plant starts to bud? Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. So you do 19/5 or 18/6 through vegetative and flowering stages? My LED light has a setting for “flowering” - I should switch to that light spectrum once my plant starts to bud? Thanks!

Flip both switches on and leave it 18/6 or 19/5 until the cows come home

I’m doing auto right now I ran lights on 20 on four off in till they started showing little buds and then went to 12 /12 they’ve done really good there about 38" tall and I would think that they will get a little bit taller still

If I could figure out how to send pictures I would

Welcome to the forum @tgibson62

To me based on the pics you might be overwatering them.

As far as the light what is it?
Plants need different amounts of light from seedling to vegetative to flower…
Can’t really answer your question on turning on both or not now or later without knowing what light fixture it is.

Plants look nice other than the overwatering I see.

Thank you!

Jerry, There is a ton of data out there that proves you will get smaller buds and less of them on a 12/12 with auto. The basis of this is that what makes an auto flower do what it does is called ruderalis and has been genetically introduced into the plants we grow today. It came from marijuana plants in Siberia where the latitude is so high that the plants there would never complete a cycle from seed to flower in photo period because the summers are much shorter yet during the summer time it’s light up to 24 hours a day for a month of their life. Today there is 15 hours and 57 minutes of light there.The fall equinox is September 23rd this year, mother nature’s natural 12/12 cycle they will have snow on the ground within 30 days of that and that’s be one fast finisher.
@tgibson62