How Do These Look? Do They Look Good? Please Tell Me They Look Good

Hello everyone,

This is my first year growing from seed (ILGM purchased). It’s practically springtime already here in Southern California with temps somewhere in the 70s during the day and high 40s at night. I’ve got 3 Jack Herer autoflower sprouts going. Below is the timeline of the process so far.

Feb 23- soaked them in water

Feb 24- noticed right before sundown they had all cracked and had taproots; put them in a moist paper towel between two plates and placed on the water heater over night

Feb 25- planted them in Kellog Garden Organics Raised Bed & Potting Mix at sunrise; Two tips I followed: To spare them of future transplant shock, I planted them directly in their final pots (5 gal fabric pots); Pre-soaked the soil to ease integration into the medium (#1 with over a gallon of purified water; #2 with about 3/4 of a gallon; and #3 with about a 1/2 gallon); Domed them all with bottomless Powerade bottles, taking them off a few times to let the soil dry

The first few days, I moved the pots around the garden to keep them in direct sunlight as long as possible and brought them in at night. During this time, I had no lights but a panel heater set at 72 degrees about a foot away all night long.

Feb 28- They had all sprouted; domes removed; Another tip I followed: To encourage sprawling roots, I’ve been watering them 5ml at a time (3 or 4 times a day) with an oral syringe and circling the plant about an inch out from the stem; They spent that night in darkness next to the panel heater

Mar 1- There was already some yellowing of the leaves with #1 having it the worst; I assumed it had to do with the pre-soak as it took 3 days for #1 to dry out, but #2 was the only one that wasn’t yellow at all; Had more trouble than I thought I would finding 6500K CFLs in the area and ended up with a Feit 60w incandescent grow light; Put that in a lamp and grouped the plants with the light centered above them most of the night

Mar 3- They were all getting taller, but the leaves weren’t growing; #1 was looking like a lost cause; Rushed some Philips 100w (23w) 6500K CFLs to the house

Mar 4- the bulbs arrived; Each sprout had their own light about 6” above them all night (about 4 or 5 hours of darkness between dusk and bedtime)

Mar 5- this morning each sprout was sticking straight up with their little leaves canopied outward; #1’s leaves seemed to almost double in size overnight with the yellowing now only on the outer tips; #1 and #2 are about an inch tall; #3 is about an inch and a half

I’ve been continually reminding myself that life is resilient, but am concerned I didn’t have everything together enough before dropping those seeds in the water. Would any seasoned growers be willing to provide their insight?

1. How do these look 9 days from seed soaking and 5 days from sprouting?
  2. I’ve read the short life span of autos leaves little room for error. How do you think #1’s yellowing leaves and the days without sufficient nighttime lighting will affect the final product?
  3. I have some Fox Farms nutrients left over from last year, but read that good soil (which I think I have based on last year’s clone success) has enough to feed an autoflower for its 8-10 weeks of life. Is that true? Should I bypass feeding concerns and focus solely on proper watering, light, and maintenance?
  4. Lastly, the water seems to stay pooled on top of the surface longer and longer before soaking into the soil. It’s only about 5 seconds, but is that a sign of a problem that will worsen over time? Is the concentration of water, as little as it is, effecting the breathability of the soil? If the water is having more trouble moving down into the soil, does that mean the roots are having to work harder as well?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Like

Looking good :relieved:

1 Like

You have planted them in a pot way to
Big for them … maybe transplant them into something smaller then work your way upto that size

I agree that going to big pot right isn’t necessary and makes it harder dealing with seedlings. Transplanting is easy and not at all stressful if you do it right. I wouldn’t downsize at this point.

But now that they are in big pots you need to encourage the roots to grow. Watering a little bit every day doesn’t cut it. The roots never extend beyond the little area of damp soil. You need to water the plants really well so that the soil throughout the pot is damp. As the top dries the roots will search out the moisture in the bottom of the pot. With a 5 gallon pot you probably need close to a gallon of water to really soak them. Then you need to be patient and sit back and wait 4 or 5 days before watering them again. Not hovering can be the hardest part.

4 Likes

Def don’t dig it up at this point but aside from that looks just fine. Let it ride.

What sort of soil are you growing in?

If this is an auto , it should be good :relieved:

2 Likes

Are they ready to harvest?

2 Likes

Welcome @Franky to the forum.

Hard to tell from your photo. Need a couple pictures of the pistils.

Not ready but they looking good , 3-4 more weeks

Looks good buddy.

I saw you made a couple other posts and someone shared their trichome reading table. My eye site sucks so I’m not the one to look at trichomes, it’s hard for me to see fine details

I don’t see any white pistils in the photos you provided so I would say you are close. Take a look at the pistils in the middle of your plant and see if they have all turned orange or brown and receded. The lower buds lag behind the top by a week or two so if they have all turned then you plant is probably ready.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Next round will definitely be started in smaller containers. Not only to ease the process, but also cause I came out yesterday afternoon and a neighborhood cat was taking a nap on top of #1. He couldn’t resist curling up in a warm sack of dirt. She’s got a lean but looks like she’ll make it (pic below). Thank you for the watering tip as well. It felt a little weird being skimpy with it, but was experimenting with the below tip I read somewhere. Soaked them each with a little over 2/3 of a gallon this morning and am gonna leave them alone for a couple days. Thanks again! I appreciate the guidance.

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement. The soil is Kellogg Organic Plus Raised Bed and Potting Mix. download

Autos are said to be put in its 1 and only spot it will live out its term i myself also seem to control better in a pellet then small pot solo cup size so roots can expand a little more not to long though Then I move them to the final 5 gallon spot always had really good luck this method if u have a cheap little grow bulb suggested I use a couple t8grow bulbs for this Due to they do not get hot to the touch I keep them about 1to 2 inches From the girls at least until they get tall enough and sturdy enough let them get about a foot at least under there and then put them outside This will allow them to get bushy and ready to go Outside because if you just put them outside they’re just going to want to stretch so give them a little girth first But that’s just my opinion I only do Indoor but I can imagine this would work well for even outdoor

Can someone tell me why the seedling leaves are curving down like this? Most info I can find online warns against overwatering. Every knuckle test I’ve done comes up dry before watering. The red stem of the middle one suggests it might be heat stress, but I’m just not sure.

I tried some Kellog Organic soil and thought it was terrible. Mine came in a green and white bag though. It was about 50% wood chips.

I’m using 60% composted manure in peat
10% peat
20% perlite
10% vermiculite

I’m not sure it’s the best stuff in the world but it’s much better than the Kellog stuff, and every bit as cheap.

1 Like

It’s really hard to manage a good wet/dry cycle for tiny plants in huge pots. One thing that can help is a fan blowing across the top will help dry the soils top most layer and discourage over watering.

1 Like

Yeah just water once a week or so depending how fast your water evaporates, lift the bag to get a clear idea of how much water is in