How do I know when my buds are ready for harvest?!

Okay so here’s the deal
This is my first grow
I had none of the proper tools or knowledge and am kinda just doing what I can, and learning where I can.

So my question is……how do I Know when these girls are done?! I’be read multiple things about the color of the pistils being cloudy, but also being amber, but also just determining it based on the density of the bud. But I’ve also heard about yellowing of the fan leaves. So I’ve decided to come to the experts.
I know my lights are not good, so should I just cut these babies to dry now? One has amber pistils, one does not. The buds seems to keep growing, but I don’t want to let it go on too long. Any advise, please!!!
(Again, I know the lights weren’t good, it’s my first grow. And I’ve got a grow tent now with a proper Mars light and another girl growing that I will try LST)

training on)

3 Likes

you can get a USB microscope pretty cheap to see the trichomes.

3 Likes

A Complete Guide on When to Harvest Hemp

3 Likes

@oldmarine
Thank you!!

2 Likes

@BudzMS
Thank you for the recommendation!! :blush:

2 Likes

Heads up. I see what looks like tiny white spots on a few leaves that do not look like trichomes. There are not many I see but that could be a sign of spider mites.( I am dealing with them right now. :worried:)
Need to check real good with at least 60x magnification to see bugs and/or eggs.

This is a leaf off mine right now.

:arrow_down:This is your 2nd picture. I circled in red the suspect white spots. Hard to tell but what I circled in white could be web strands. Your top picture has similar looking suspect spots.

2 Likes

Showed my wife the pics re spider mites. She said she uses Dawn and water spray…I wouldn’t use need oil. I’ve used peroxide and water spray. You can do a bud wash with peroxide/water etc…look it up there are a few bud wash methods that work to get rid of the mite pop.
Also you have plenty of time before harvest. Get a jewelers loop to keep track of your BUD trichomes.

1 Like

@HMGRWN
Wow thank you so much for pointing this out!! I never would have known!! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate that :pray:t2:
Loving this community more and more :green_heart::green_heart:

@6stringT
Thank you for having your wife look and I will definitely do that. Should I just use a spray bottle and spray the leaves?

Yes it won’t hurt the plant but the spider mites don’t like it. Don’t forget the under parts of the leaves as well. Don’t forget, that last few weeks grow the buds quite a bit more more patient.

2 Likes

@Low gave me some advice to use alcohol and water mix in a sprayer. (9 parts water to 1 part alcohol). I did that yesterday and last night. It did not seem to hurt the plants at all in fact I think they liked it. I drenched the plant and under sides really good. :bangbang:If you spray anything on your plants, do it at lights out and have a fan blowing (not directly) so they will dry.

1 Like

Peroxide? :hushed:

Edit!

I got mixed up. Lol. Gotcha!

1 Like

that and bleach was also in that post. :+1:

2 Likes

Determine how the long the strain you are growing flowers for. Thats usually the number given to any individual strain for the amount of time it takes buds to mature and ripen

1 Like

@Low @HMGRWN
Lol okay so is it peroxide or alcohol? Or can both be used? I’m a bit confused now!
Sorry!!!
:grimacing:

Thank you all again

2 Likes

Here is the info with options. Research each accordingly to see if it works for the stage you are in.

1 Like

It is either.
For peroxide it is 50/50 with water
For alcohol it is 9 parts water to 1 part alcohol.
bottled, RO or distilled water is best.

1 Like

@Lorenda_x dont get flummoxed, Hydrogen peroxide turns into water anyway but 50-50 Hydrogen Peroxide / water will work. But I like my wife’s suggestion re Dawn and water. You don’t have to go out and buy distilled water to get rid of spider mites. Maybe for a bud wash but you will likely go with a 3step bud wash. I’d say drink the alcohol or use it to make tincture. I’d say LOL but I hate that! You’ll be fine.

1 Like

@Tophr72
Thanks friend!!

1 Like

@Low
understood!!
Thanks for hoping on here and sharing :blush:

1 Like