How crazy can i go w/removing fan leaves?

Here’s another example of what you can get with a heavy defol, I don’t grow the plant for the leaves, just bud.

7 Likes

Im kinda like half way where you are with the trimming. Ill probably be closer next grow. I didnt trim a leaf off this time until they were a couple weeks into flowering, and they only had 3 weeks on the veg feeding cycle before i switched them to flower. But i learned a lot, and i got an 80" tall tent instead of 60" now so i can start off much better for my 2nd grow.

3 Likes

Remove leaves that cover other buds and leaves that merge into other branches. Like on the right, against the wall there’s a fan leaf covering the 2 lowest branches

2 Likes

Im going to trim them up after i get my new light installed. Just arrived. So ill post some pics later today, after trimming, and get your opinion, if you dont mind.

Shouod i leave all leaves with frost on them alone? If not, can i just throw them in the freezer until i harvest, that way i can add them to the harvest pile? Im going to try to make cannibutter with them.

2 Likes

Frosty leaves stay. Sometimes I remove leaves with frost on the stalk/stem. Also Frost on leaves is lost during drying

2 Likes

That’s why you’re the Hellraiser! :grin::v::fire:

3 Likes

I do the heavy defol for better light to the lower buds and air circulation. And it so far it looks like it’s gonna be easier to trim. And yes it makes the nugs way denser.

3 Likes

The videos ive seen on making cannabutter involve using the leaves when theyre still green and fresh, in a crockpot. Hoping freezing them will keep them lover without losing thc crystals.

Check out my sticky and colorful entry in the
October 2021 Bud of the Month
Polling is Open!

1 Like

Thats a gorgeous cola

1 Like

2 years ago I was doing quite a bit of defol and one of my plants turned hermie, I read you can stress them by doing so. Last year I saw a video of a guy saying he was able to reliably turn plants hermie by applying large doses of seabird guano, which I had done not realizing the proper dose. I am not sure now what turned it hermie.

Recently a friend told me never pull anything out of the flowers as it will cause mold.

He also suggested to only pull fan leaves that are starting to die. Lots of different advice.

I had 2 plants this year from the hermie seeds. I didn’t get very many, it was just staring to go hermie as it was ready to harvest, which is why I figure the stress theory could hold true, rather than the seabird guano, as that happened very early in the grow. I surely need to understand which leaves and when to pull them as well as how to do it properly, I will read up for next year. I’m not the best grower and have just used the Jorge Cervantes book as a guide. Thanks for posting that link to Nebula Haze, that looks like a great read. :smiley:

2 Likes

Polling is Open for the Bud of the Year 2021 contest. Have a Happy and Healthy 2022!

1 Like