How crazy can i go w/removing fan leaves?

Defoliation will increase your harvest but it starts before you switch them to flower is how I learned I try to follow that article/tutorial I mentioned above

4 Likes

I definitely got some stuff to try for my next grow. I was planning on doing a no trim grow for my 1st time so id have a baseline, but i learned that wasnt going to be very feasible not long after switching to flower. Planning on getting a quicker start next time.

Im conflicted, because i like the look of a full plant, but id also like to push yield, so ill probably try to find a compromise between the 2.

2 Likes

Very impressive sir !!! Gorgeous tent full of donkey dicks

Also want to add to general convo
I’ve never grown indoors so I think my defoil tactics would be much different if I did …

Outdoors I removed as little as possible after doing a really aggressive one around week 3 of flower …I did it mainly for air circulation between the colas and for pest management .

5 Likes

@MeEasy knows what to do.

Now you know too.
Do you want to grow leaves or buds?
Learn how and when to cut those leaves and get much bigger buds!

Of course this is a hot button subject with all kinds of opinions.
But I’m definitely in the defoliation camp with MeEasy! :+1: :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Lmao thats great.

Thats got to be a great advantage…having the freaking sun as your light source :drooling_face:. From my limited experience with indoor, trimming is also important for airflow too. Its a bonus not being at the mercy of mother nature, but on the flipside, these plants have had thousands of years to grow suitably for outdoors.

1 Like

I agree it’s a fine balance you need to simulate what the plant wants …I’m going to try my hand at indoor growing but trying to really read a lot of peoples journals already doing it for a good while .wish I could buy one of those leaf machines you put in the corner.At the same time I wanna understand and learn how to do it myself

1 Like

Id love to expercience an outdoor grow one day, but not something ill probably have a chance to do for awhile.

Its badass being able to sit in your house while spending time with your plants though. Can put a movie on in the background even. Total control of the environment is nice too. Only bug ive seen near my plants was a single ant. Not only that but im all but certain that hurricane ida would have done some big damage to them. I have plants out in my garden that havent been able to stand up since. Need to keep them tied off.

Just make sure you get a carbon filter if youre doing a tent so that your house doesnt constantly smell weed lol

2 Likes

If you Veg your plants for Much Longer, you can Duplicate the others/outdoor setting. And then you will need heavy defoliation. Looks like they Topped their plants too, so like 2+months of Veg.
Like I Said, I Don’t Defoliate As Much and I For Sure Don’t Veg As Much. I Veg my Seeds for 10-20 days and get 5-8 oz per plant.
Also if you’re using premium nutes, you don’t have to worry about deficiencies. I use natural/organic granular and what ever water soluble I can find: miracle grow, epsom salt, calcium Nitrate, now I use grow more seaweed 4-26-26 late bloom

1 Like

Here’s another example of what you can get with a heavy defol, I don’t grow the plant for the leaves, just bud.

7 Likes

Im kinda like half way where you are with the trimming. Ill probably be closer next grow. I didnt trim a leaf off this time until they were a couple weeks into flowering, and they only had 3 weeks on the veg feeding cycle before i switched them to flower. But i learned a lot, and i got an 80" tall tent instead of 60" now so i can start off much better for my 2nd grow.

3 Likes

Remove leaves that cover other buds and leaves that merge into other branches. Like on the right, against the wall there’s a fan leaf covering the 2 lowest branches

2 Likes

Im going to trim them up after i get my new light installed. Just arrived. So ill post some pics later today, after trimming, and get your opinion, if you dont mind.

Shouod i leave all leaves with frost on them alone? If not, can i just throw them in the freezer until i harvest, that way i can add them to the harvest pile? Im going to try to make cannibutter with them.

2 Likes

Frosty leaves stay. Sometimes I remove leaves with frost on the stalk/stem. Also Frost on leaves is lost during drying

2 Likes

That’s why you’re the Hellraiser! :grin::v::fire:

3 Likes

I do the heavy defol for better light to the lower buds and air circulation. And it so far it looks like it’s gonna be easier to trim. And yes it makes the nugs way denser.

3 Likes

The videos ive seen on making cannabutter involve using the leaves when theyre still green and fresh, in a crockpot. Hoping freezing them will keep them lover without losing thc crystals.

Check out my sticky and colorful entry in the
October 2021 Bud of the Month
Polling is Open!

1 Like

Thats a gorgeous cola

1 Like

2 years ago I was doing quite a bit of defol and one of my plants turned hermie, I read you can stress them by doing so. Last year I saw a video of a guy saying he was able to reliably turn plants hermie by applying large doses of seabird guano, which I had done not realizing the proper dose. I am not sure now what turned it hermie.

Recently a friend told me never pull anything out of the flowers as it will cause mold.

He also suggested to only pull fan leaves that are starting to die. Lots of different advice.

I had 2 plants this year from the hermie seeds. I didn’t get very many, it was just staring to go hermie as it was ready to harvest, which is why I figure the stress theory could hold true, rather than the seabird guano, as that happened very early in the grow. I surely need to understand which leaves and when to pull them as well as how to do it properly, I will read up for next year. I’m not the best grower and have just used the Jorge Cervantes book as a guide. Thanks for posting that link to Nebula Haze, that looks like a great read. :smiley:

2 Likes

Polling is Open for the Bud of the Year 2021 contest. Have a Happy and Healthy 2022!

1 Like