How crazy can i go w/removing fan leaves?

Currently in week 5 of flower, and a lot of the bud growing on the stems and even some offshoots are being blocked by leaves. Sone of it is by fan leaves, and some by leaves that are frosty.

Can i just remove everything thats blocking any site at all, or is it more important for the plant to get the light, for the bigger buds.

Where ive circled is the densest part, but where the arrow is there is a lot of bud thats being shaded too.

I think i could have a better understanding if someone could tell me how the plant uses its resources. For instance, does the plant distribute its resources evenly across all stems, or is it distributing a greater amount of resources to where light is hitting?

Lets say an offshoot was completely in the dark, but the plant itself had adequate light…would that offshoot be fine since the plant as a whole is getting enough of everything? This is something ive always been unsure of…id think logically the plant functions as a whole, but then what would be the point of trimming…

2 Likes

At this point I would tuck as much as I could. Remove only the leaves blocking light if you have to…

2 Likes

Ok thanks. I would have never guessed just how many sites there would be on mj plants. Every single intersection has something growing. Its wild. The mj plant is an amazing species.

4 Likes

That intersection is a node and every node has a leaf and a growth tip. Growth tips become branches and create colas and more nodes. You will see and learn that not all growth tips are equal and that some deserve more attention than others. And many, if not most should actually be removed.
Yes, they are amazing plants.

4 Likes

I’m a big defoliation guy I remove a lot but I also think timing is important I learned from Nebulahaze her site is called grow weed easy she has a couple articles on defoliation and you will learn more from her she explains things much better than I do. Search growweedeasy once there search defoliation

3 Likes

I can definitely see myself getting more picky in the future, but for this grow it just looks like its sooo much. Especially if they all fatten up. I can definitely tell what you mean tho…some of my offshoots look like smaller main colas, while others have 1/4 of the height. But then you peek under that node, and see how much is behind it…its very exciting.

1 Like

Thanks a lot. Someone had shared an amazing video on here, and that helped me out quite a bit, but at this stage in the cycle, especially with it being the top half of the plant, im a bit nervous. I did some trimming today…maybe 6 big fan leaves…but in order to really light all those colas, id need to go in like edward scissorhands lol

2 Likes

I do a heavy defoliation at day 21 and again at day 42. I strip about 90% of all leaves that have stems. Usually leave a few at the top .
Before defol

After

6 Likes

So you left just the very top set of leaves there? Do you feel it increases mass of each bud, or amount of sites?

2 Likes

I use Leaves to ID deficiencies, they warn me. Correcting deficiencies Early, keeps your Plants Thriving. I Never defoliate as much as @Loudman
I tuck & tie fan leaves then loose them throughout Bloom and Flush.

3 Likes

Here is my current grow like I said I defoliate mine, that’s 2 feet of bud you wouldn’t have that with all the leaves in the way

10 Likes

Geezus…the forest of ganja tentacles. Looks incredible man.

2 Likes

Defoliation will increase your harvest but it starts before you switch them to flower is how I learned I try to follow that article/tutorial I mentioned above

4 Likes

I definitely got some stuff to try for my next grow. I was planning on doing a no trim grow for my 1st time so id have a baseline, but i learned that wasnt going to be very feasible not long after switching to flower. Planning on getting a quicker start next time.

Im conflicted, because i like the look of a full plant, but id also like to push yield, so ill probably try to find a compromise between the 2.

2 Likes

Very impressive sir !!! Gorgeous tent full of donkey dicks

Also want to add to general convo
I’ve never grown indoors so I think my defoil tactics would be much different if I did …

Outdoors I removed as little as possible after doing a really aggressive one around week 3 of flower …I did it mainly for air circulation between the colas and for pest management .

5 Likes

@MeEasy knows what to do.

Now you know too.
Do you want to grow leaves or buds?
Learn how and when to cut those leaves and get much bigger buds!

Of course this is a hot button subject with all kinds of opinions.
But I’m definitely in the defoliation camp with MeEasy! :+1: :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Lmao thats great.

Thats got to be a great advantage…having the freaking sun as your light source :drooling_face:. From my limited experience with indoor, trimming is also important for airflow too. Its a bonus not being at the mercy of mother nature, but on the flipside, these plants have had thousands of years to grow suitably for outdoors.

1 Like

I agree it’s a fine balance you need to simulate what the plant wants …I’m going to try my hand at indoor growing but trying to really read a lot of peoples journals already doing it for a good while .wish I could buy one of those leaf machines you put in the corner.At the same time I wanna understand and learn how to do it myself

1 Like

Id love to expercience an outdoor grow one day, but not something ill probably have a chance to do for awhile.

Its badass being able to sit in your house while spending time with your plants though. Can put a movie on in the background even. Total control of the environment is nice too. Only bug ive seen near my plants was a single ant. Not only that but im all but certain that hurricane ida would have done some big damage to them. I have plants out in my garden that havent been able to stand up since. Need to keep them tied off.

Just make sure you get a carbon filter if youre doing a tent so that your house doesnt constantly smell weed lol

2 Likes

If you Veg your plants for Much Longer, you can Duplicate the others/outdoor setting. And then you will need heavy defoliation. Looks like they Topped their plants too, so like 2+months of Veg.
Like I Said, I Don’t Defoliate As Much and I For Sure Don’t Veg As Much. I Veg my Seeds for 10-20 days and get 5-8 oz per plant.
Also if you’re using premium nutes, you don’t have to worry about deficiencies. I use natural/organic granular and what ever water soluble I can find: miracle grow, epsom salt, calcium Nitrate, now I use grow more seaweed 4-26-26 late bloom

1 Like