How cold is too cold?

I started my grow in late March. seeds sprouted April 2nd. Weather was fine. then a freeze hit. plants insde under cheap grow light for a week. then transplanted and put outside. I now have 5 young ones in 7 gal. pots. temps started at 70s during the day 50s at night. Then bam! Temps have dropped to low 60 to upper 50s in the day with low reach the low 40s . So far they are holding up great! They are young but seem to be hardy!

7 Likes

Mine are in an uninsulated porch, plenty warm all day, but the nights have gotten into the 40s a few times. Coincidentally, they also have a potassium deficiency that getting worse even though I’m feeding them more than the recommended doses. pH is fine. I was wondering if it was the cold keeping the roots from absorbing nutes? Is that a thing?

1 Like

What makes you think its potassium deficiency ?

1 Like

cold temperatures of lower than 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Temperature is especially a problem the the change is sudden
Phoshorus is most effected by cold it is also what’s manipulated to get plats to get dark colours in strains like PK Blueberry etc.

2 Likes

Hello there Ragnar
There’s a strain I know that should work great for you if you can get ahold of it , it’s called Rooi-bard (aka Afrikaans for red beard) very well known to the by stoners in South Africa in the 90s but started to die down in the 2010 , I’m going on a search myself in a few weeks to try find again,
But dam that and white widow is scarce in this dam country , I personally like it because it a strong alrounder high that keeps you going for about 8 to 10 hours pain free and very mobile but relaxed all at the same time

6 Likes

Thats awesome brother, Iam currently growing white widow, also Gold leaf seem to be doing really good here so far…lush and happy :grinning:

3 Likes

Mine are sitting right where you see them in the pic. Using Fox Farm nuts. 2 0z Big bloom and 2 oz grow big in 2gal h2o mostly on a every other day schedule. All are healthy even with the cooler temps. Warmed up a little today and forecast to continue warming . H

ere’s a little better pic of one of them

7 Likes

Looking happy and healthy, just the way we like them. …

1 Like

Mine have prety drastic day night swings, like today …77 day and 41 night, now that is a brutal change…
All ok so far !!

Hm. 45-80 is about the range my girls have been getting, and that’s easily within 24 hours. Gonna be in the 30s tonight, so I hauled them inside.

Better safe, I guess.

4 Likes

In 30’s tonight ? Where are you ?
Iam in NorCal mountains and it supposed to be low 40’s here…
But yes, better be safe than sorry, especially if they already budding…

2 Likes

Massachusetts. Nowhere near budding–trying to keep these alive and well through autumn. Let nature put them into flower. But nature is not helpful yet. :confused:

2 Likes

p.s. NC mountains? Oh, no, never mind. California. I’m envious!

1 Like

Ooh ok, I guess its colder there…
North California is ideal for canna cultivation, I am just dealing with somewhat high elevation ( 5 000 feet) its pleasant during day , but nights are in 50’ even in middle of summer…
Typical summer day- night 85-90 day …50-55 night

I got really hard time growing oyster mushrooms outdoor because of that, they kind of like 60-70 range :sob::sob::sob::sob:

2 Likes

I would like to grow white widow but it just stinks so much , I mean I have a cross between skunk#1 and original greenhouse and dam i smell it unto to blocks away and they are in mini grow houses already

1 Like

Western NC here

I had 38 degrees the other night . no sign of ill effects

They seem to tolerate light frost if they are hardened well and it does not last for more than hour or so in the early morning…
Its because the ground soil is already warmed up so the roots are ok…
Mine dont even turn purple anymore ( they used to at the beginning)
They sure more hardy than tomatoes…

I have extended family in Boone and Todd. They want me to bring them buds. :sunglasses:

Weather has actually turn good for a change here. little ones are loving it!