How can I “tie down” my plants?

High,
My plants are getting too tall (They have grown another 8-10 inches since this photo) and they still have at least three months to go. Can I tie them down and how will this affect them?
I know next year I will be topping and fimming a lot more often…

Thanks
Ger

3 Likes

Well, that’s a good problem to have.

@Cannabian

2 Likes

@MrPeat this is a problem up your alley.

2 Likes

@OlyBoy98503, these outdoor growers are coming in waves, must be the season…lol

Any suggestions?

1 Like

@DankBank22, what are you doing, come join this thread. Had a beer, let’s get a few outdoor friends in here. :smile:

Holy crap! That’s awesome!

Gerant, a more immediate issue will be how you plan on supporting those branches once they start packing on the buds. I’m afraid the weight will be too much for those branches!

Check out this picture that @Cannabian posted of a big grow.

I don’t know what the technique is called, but zoom in on the picture at the wire mesh surrounding the plant. Mount a ring of that around your plants and gently pull the branches through. Do this now, before the plant begins flower!

3 Likes

I am here. I love the outdoor grow. This is my second year and I really have learned a few things. I am still learning everyday. I really enjoy my benefit filled hobby. I stumbled across two clones last year and they grew just fine. I ordered some seeds From ILGM (Maui Wowie, and the Berry pack) and they are growing beyond expectations. Who says you can’t grow Maui in Michigan!
Ger

2 Likes

Thanks I do have them in cages now. I will support them more though

2 Likes

I sure as hell wouldn’t be saying it! :joy: :rofl::joy:

I’m digging the tomato cages. You might be able to tie the outside branches to the outside of the cages. That’s my plan for the big branches on mine.

Keep this thread updated with new pics. I want to see them blooooom!!!

1 Like

I sure will.
Ger

1 Like

Speaking of blooming. I used molasses and “Bloom” last year. Worked okay for me. Is there anything else I should do?
Now do I add Molasses and Bloom when they start to flower or when?
I am still a beginner
Ger

@Gerant Yes you can tie it down. I do it all the time. Only thing is you want to watch for crossover aka branches on top of each other.

3 Likes

Yes rope em over!

4 Likes

Ok thanks. Can I use twine or should I use cloth?

4 Likes

oh yeah!

3 Likes

You can use any type of rope to do a tie down. I use paracord. :+1:

2 Likes

oh yeah!

3 Likes

Kool-aid man approves!

3 Likes

Nice.
Any other suggestions on supporting branches now before they flower? I have seen like 4x4 metal and 4x4 mesh over the tops of the plants. Does Being outdoors make a difference in what I should use? Where should I place the support? Again I am a second year grower I think I know but I want to make sure I do it correct.
Thanks for the patience
Ger

Yeah, not 4x4 mesh use 6x6 or bigger used for concrete slabs. You can get it at a hardware store. Some places sell it by the roll, others you can buy cut offs. Also, you can ask if any contractors have bought any lately and get the scrap from them? Get 2 people and shape it into a hoop big enough to go around the plant. Take a zip cutter on a grinder and cut a 2x2 access hole in the bottom so you can service the under side of yer bush! You can pull branches through the squares and tie tops down to the rim. For bigger bushes, get some poles and wire them to a bigger hoop, drive some rebar in the ground and flip it over so the cage is 4 feet or whatever height you need off the ground and wire the poles to the rebar stakes. Rinse and repeat.
4x4 mesh is a tad small to be yanking tops through and hard to get yer hands through, 6x6 or the rectangle wire is easier by miles.