How bad is the condition of this seedling? (ILGM Trainwreck vs ILGM Durban Poison seedlings)

Hey everyone. I planted both seeds directly in a medium of ProMix HP, 20% perlite + vermiculite, 10% worm castings, 3 tbsp per gallon of 4-4-4 organic fertilizer 10 days ago. The left one is Durban Poison and the right is Trainwreck. The Trainwreck looks like it’s having a bad time.

I think I might be over-watering them (50ml every other day) or my humidity might be too low as it fluctuates between 45% and 55% throughout the day. I’ve ordered a humidifier to maintain 60%.

Any input on how the seedlings are doing, and what adjustments might help them would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Overwatering. Seedlings only need a very little water ring around them. They need to reach for the water to establish a root system.

1 Like

Word. I’ll let the top dry out before watering again. Think this guy has a chance at recovering?

They will be fine. You’ll want to get those transplanted into a new container quickly. Clear cups encourage algae growth and poor root health.

The comments about overwatering are spot on. Plants that size need a couple ml of water a day, max.

5 Likes

And use the clear cup for a humidity dome.

3 Likes

Get it transplanted into a larger vessel. Use the clear cup as a humidity dome. Spritz the inside of the dome, not the plant. feed a small ring around the solo cup. Overwatering kills most seedlings.

4 Likes

Ugh, I bought the clear cups thinking it would be cool to watch the roots develop, but definitely noticing the algae issue.

I’ll dial back the watering and transplant to an opaque pot soon.

My impression was that removing the dome was ok once the first true leaves develop. Would maintaining 60% RH without a dome be enough for them at this stage?

Thanks for all your input everyone.

1 Like

Just make sure to only feed a SMALL ring around the plant. She needs to REACH for food to get her rrot structure established.

1 Like

Without, yes.

You don’t have a choice at this point. Let the tap root and the developing root system help dry out the soil. They look strong enough to do fine.

3 Likes

I remove the dome when her leaves almost touch the sides.

2 Likes

I use clear cups for that very reason. I put the clear cup inside of a regular red cup to protect the roots from light exposure.

Your seedling will recover very nicely if you don’t over water.

4 Likes

Awesome idea. I do 2 transplants and always try to transplant when root bound (by feel.) Being able to see it is obviously better.

4 Likes

Great idea. Definitely will try that.

3 Likes

Here’s their current progress. Durban Poison seems to be doing well while Trainwreck is also improving. The weird bend didn’t flatten out on the Trainwreck leaves. I gave each about 25ml this morning as the medium seemed pretty dry.

I placed the clear pots inside other pots that are covered with black tape. I can see the roots reaching the edge of the pot on both plants.

Thinking about transplanting into 1 gallon fabric pots in a few days.

2 Likes

I just started a TW she started slow 18 days later i topped her and started a manifold

1 Like

I’ve grown the train wreck before a little tid bit about the plant it will stretch and get big. The durban poison is a hearty plant also.
Durban Poison from ILGM

Happy Growing

2 Likes

How’d these guys end up?