How and when to clone?

So im still early into my first ever grow. My seedlings are just over a week old at this point. Im just trying to plan ahead a little. My question is when should I look at cloning so i can keep growing when it comes time to harvest my first plants. Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

1 Like

In my limited experience, you can take your first clone when you do your first topping. :nerd_face:
When your plant reaches about 6-7 nodes, you can top it a little over the third node to double your tops and clone the part that you had cut away! :wink:

Hope this helps a little!

Keep it green and have a great day!

4 Likes

@BenKenobi420 to add to his question, can you flower the mother once the clones are ready to flower as well? Basically asking if you only have one tent at the moment, is it possible to grow a few clones and then flower them with the mother once the clones are ready?

2 Likes

Some of the great growers here do just that. I think @MrPeat grows on a 12/12 schedule…

2 Likes

Hey @Vance420 ive got limited space in my tent. Its only 36x20x60. Im growing 2 Skywalkers and my thought was to try and time cloning right so when I harvest the first 2, i could then put the clones into the tent and continue growing. However, I may end up buying a slightly bigger tent and use the smaller one for cloning

1 Like

I have not cloned but my understanding is the clone is the same age as the mother (makes sense). This is what I see the issue to be. How long do you keep the mother in veg and do you have room for her and clones. I would think there would be a size difference and the clones would not produce much if you don’t allow them to veg long enough. You of course would have to maintain the mother to fit the tent with the clones. It can be done but not sure it is efficient

1 Like

Think more of the age of the roots and not the clone itself… :nerd_face:
When you clone, you start a new set of roots… so basically you’re starting over but with the exact same genetics you started with…

3 Likes

That’s kind of what I was thinking. I’m just hoping to be able to get as much from my investment as possible. If I can stretch these seeds into a couple of grows through cloning that would be ideal.

1 Like

I clone all the time. Anything I cut off is rooted. Makes no difference whether it’s in flower or veg, if I like the look of it then its cloned. I have a heated, domed propagator and I also use plastic bottles. Success varies but it doesn’t matter as I have so many now. Propagator to seedling tent, then veg before hitting my main tent

4 Likes

The idea is to practice! And @Davyg just expressed what I was going to say! Totally agree with him. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Good advise! Just clone everything and hang onto the best of the best.

2 Likes

I am into the first grow as well - and looking to clone at various stages and points. Hoping to clone the tops, lower branches in veg and then to monster in flower. Hoping to do a comparison as they go. I might be getting ahead of myself - but it is a goal. And what is the harm? A few clippings and a few cups of dirt… makes sense to this hazy brain!
Good luck in your quest!

1 Like

If you like plants with lots of branches, monster cropping is the best, imo. :+1:

1 Like

Monster cropping? Whats that?

1 Like

When you take your clone while the mother is flowering. It makes for some crazy branching…

1 Like

You are correct. I do only 12/12 start to finish. My plants go from seedlings pass Veg cycle and straight supernova. :+1::+1::+1:

And your plants are huge if I remember right…

Not bad for an old stoner! :wink:

1 Like

So you take clones from a flowering mother and put them straight on 12/12 to start flowering?

3 Likes

To my feeble and inexperienced brain - branches = bud sites = buds. Training the branches to make best of the light seems logical.

1 Like

Good clarification so it increases the time differential between mother and clone.
Ps I have two cuttings off a flowering mother under a dome now. No rooting hormones, cubes or anything. Just distilled water, tiny amount of sugar, a glass and a 1 qt deli container for the dome. On day 3 - no expectations. Just “I wonder if this will work?”

1 Like