Hosing down crop?

A question from a fellow grower:

What if the crop is contaminated with bird poo and other stuff like mold and some insects, or even mud spray from heavy rain.
Do you recommend washing the crop or hosing them down?

Marijuana is a hard to hurt - do either but just watch water pressure, might need a mixture of 50% dish soap and 50% water to clean plant of insects - suggest doing this first - then wash the whole plant

:astonished: 50 percent soap?

Maybe I messed up somewhere when I tried to use dish liquid before, but my plants ended up getting burned. I used about half a tsp. for a half gallon of water. It was Dawn, not sure if that would matter.

I was attempting to deter whatever it is that puts those damned bud borrers on my plants. Those worms have cost me more smoke over the years than anything else I’ve had to fight against.

Perhaps someone could clear this up for me. I know its just a matter of time before they start getting in my buds again this year.

Dawn is what they use to clean birds with oil on them because of those oil spills

50/ 50 isn’t that to strong?
Tom

1 Like

You got that right…lol. Steve must have done a misprint.

Will

1 Like

I think can help ya my friend. And by the way
Welcome to ILGM. Don’t forget to visit the lounge that’s where we all get to now each other.
Anyway here ya go.

Caterpillars (cutworms, cabbageworms, ect.)

There are several different kinds of catapillars that may affect cannabis plants, mainly the ones that affect the plants, do almost the same damage, some do more severe depending on the numbers you have eating on your plants. Most caterpillars will do damage by chewing holes in the leaves, the holes will be kind of big, if so you know it’s not going to be a smaller kind of pest.
If you find caterpillars have been eating at your plants and you need to get rid of them; there are several non-toxic and least toxic methods to choose from. You can also shake your plant a bit to make the caterpillars fall off your plants. . If your plants are affected during late flowering or close to harvest, please try to use the safest means of control to be safe to your health.

Prevent and Control

Hand picking: Easy way to control them is to pick them up and knock them into a bucket of soapy water. If you are scared about handling caterpillars, you can use some gloves or have someone else pick them up for you.

PERMETHRIN dust
BTK in dust form can be used to kill caterpillars. BTK can also be used to foliar spray your plants. One tablespoon of neem oil added to your BT mix helps stick the mix to the plants better when you are foliar spraying… BTK is available in liquid form. Apply BTK on all of the leaves both top and underside If you decided using the dust kind,spray your plants down with water before you apply the dust Apply every week to 2 weeks and or after it rains. The caterpillars must eat the BT as they are feeding on foliage in order for the caterpillars to be rid of.

Organic

Insecticidal soaps, neem, oil, and spinosad are the safest insecticides that can be used to control… Soaps and neem are non-toxic and are great to use when you have a lot of pests and want to be friendly to nature and its animals. Spinosad works very very good in controlling the caterpillar population and is non toxic to wild-life, pets, and humans. It hardly has any impact at all on the plants.

Hope this helps

Will

3 Likes

Sorry for the amounts; yes - somewhat strong you guy’s are correct