Horticulture Lighting Group HLG 550

Ya, I see them now. Looks like they’re 24 volt like qb 120, but have lower current rating. Seems like a lot of hassle to run them like you’re explaining. Can I ask what you’re trying to do with them?

2 Likes

Ok I see about the driver, was just about to order it thanks for fast response. As for the 96 boards I want to replace my small t-5. Replacing bulbs is old and too much power. I have a new 2 in 1 tent. 4x4 for mothers and 1x4 in two tiers for seedlings so that makes two 1x4 areas I want to upgrade. The 96 cover 1x2, so two on each 1x4 area would be perfect. I wanted to be able to shut off one row if not in use. If that’s too much trouble then I can run all four at once off one driver. Nothing big but I have been wanting to upgrade like this, just never had the urge until now, and best time as any bulbs need to be replaced.

1 Like

It’s not really any trouble for me lol. I can spit out part numbers for whatever you need. But I’m thinking you could do better cheaper in 1x4 space if you don’t mind a little elbow grease. Those bridgelux eb strips are almost the same thing, but you can get them in 1120mm length. They will cover whole 4’. You could put two strips on each row. You would just have to build up a frame to hang them.

1 Like

Also, if you tag me or respond to my message instead of the thread I’ll get a notification.

1 Like

@dbrn32 Ok I like your idea. What driver would I need for these strips? I do like the idea of building a frame it will be nicer to hang/adjust for me. Also would I use different gauge wires then the 120 and 288 boards? I hope I tagged you correctly and I’m not sure about messages. I click on them and says no topics found.

1 Like

We’re not allowed to message here. Tag worked so just do that. So you want 2 strips for each right? Also, no need for dimming on those as well right?

Edit. 18awg solid will work for dc side wiring on both. As well as just about every led build you would probably do in the future.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 Yes, 2 strips each without dimming.

1 Like

Gimme a few, have my daughter at doctor.

2 Likes

No worries at all about me, hope all is good with your family first and foremost. Do your thing and take care of the little one.

2 Likes

Plm-40-500 will run two strips at about 20 watts each.

Edit. That would be two of the gen 2 1120mm strips.

2 Likes

Ok. I really appreciate your help. I went ahead and ordered a second set of qb120 boards, and am looking into the strips you recommended as well. Also looking at videos, looking forward to my first build with the 120s. Thanks for all your help, looking forward to mail man for the moment…:wink:…will keep up on the research.

3 Likes

@dbrn32 Hello. Thanks for the help. Built my two kits. Each one for 4x4, spacing was a guess but they are awesome. Just waiting for the 288 to come back up in stock, heard the coming out with a 288 version 2, top bin of the top bin…lol. also a driver for 600 constant volts or something like that if you building hlg 600. Question, how hot should my 120 build run? I couldnt find 18 gauge solid wire so i used 14 gauge solid wire, will this cause heat or loss in efficiency. I can change wire just found 18 gauge on Amazon. Driver is 106 degrees f and boards are 115 degrees f. Does this seem right? Should I point fan at them or leave it between canopy and boards? Running four in series. Thanks again. :hugs:

1 Like

I wouldn’t use 14g wire. I’ve used it and it’s too big for the connectors. Broke one off, it’s too stiff imo and trying to manipulate and bend it with those little plastic connectors. While they did fit. Bending it to reach the other connector ended up snapping it off.

2 Likes

@Hi_419_gotaminute @dbrn32 will ask how you measured the temperatures. The infared thermometers aren’t the best, but will give you an idea. They misread shiny objects. (Dont we all though? Lol) and welcome to the forum.

3 Likes

For building the hlg600 (buying seperate) you need an HLG-600H-54B if I understand your question correctly. Pretty sure they need to be wired in parallel.

1 Like

Yea I already used the 14 gauge. I liked it because it was easy to use, the fittings Molex connectors held and the stiffness of the wire just held itself up wherever I put it. But I wired as I went.

@Covertgrower hello and thanks for the welcome. Yea I used infrared heat gun with the little laser at about 6" away…yea I did not know about the shiny thing messing with readings…lol thanks for info I learn every day.:+1:

2 Likes

@Aolelon I was planning on a build discussed earlier in forum. I was planning on building a hlg 600 but got some suggestions I liked more. I mentioned the new 600 driver to see if anyone heard about it or I misunderstood. Was watching the GML show and Stephen from hlg mentioned new 288 q.b. v2 and I thought he also mentioned a new driver for building an hlg 600?

I didnt hear about a new driver tbh. But the driver they use now is the HLG-600H-54B

1 Like

@dbrn32 @Covertgrower @Aolelon I liked my first build. I say it was okay…thanks for all the help. Will be waiting for boards to come up.

6 Likes