Horticulture Lighting Group HLG 550

Good to hear!

1 Like

@dbrn32 glad you caught that :relaxed::+1:

Steveā€™s a pretty good guy and very helpful.

1 Like

@dbrn32 What would you choose if given the option. 6 hlg 550s or 24 slate 2 triple heatsinks with two boards on each heatsink? 10x10 area? Same amount of, boards different driver configurations?

Wouldnā€™t it be 12 slate 2 to equal the 24 boards on 6 550s?

2 Likes

@dbrn32 yes, I think I took one too many bong ripsā€¦lolā€¦12 x slate 2 triple heatsinks.

1 Like

So essentially xl 260 kits then right? Iā€™m under the understanding the 260 kits run cooler with better heatsinks, and theyā€™re cheaper. So thatā€™s what I would do.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 Yea, a lil shortage on the slate 2 heatsinks so they offered the hlg 550 heatsinks and a good deal on the 480 drivers. Throwing in the required hardware/hangers. I had got quite a bit of work done and only had to attach the qb before I seen your response about the heatsinks. Will post some pics when I get back of end result while I wait for the new items, out of town for the weekend. They mentioned the new qb should run a little cooler, and I should fire it up to check the temp on the slate 1. Sounds interesting maybe I will just to get by while I wait.

2 Likes

Personally, it will run even cooler on the slate 2. Cooler is more performance, thatā€™s what you want.

If they canā€™t get you slate 2, see if they can hit you with the heatsink for the hlg-600. I think they call it slate 6 quad extrusion maybe?

1 Like

@dbrn32 Ok, nothing has been finalized yet since the cutoff on shipping already happened by the time I called them back. Iā€™m try go for what you mentioned. So if I got it right,
option 1) would be the slate 2 triple followed by option 2) the slate 6 quad extrusion.
Thanks again for such great advice and sharing your knowledge. I will let you know what developsā€¦

2 Likes

@dbrn32 Quick update. I talked to hlg about the slate 5 quad extrusion, they said it is more expensive so I would pay the difference, but they did mention that the slate 4 boards are more spread out because the slate 5 is a lot more narrow then slate 4. I will make do with that for now and it worked out well because I have a buddy who is interested in them when Iā€™m done if I do not want them. One other change now would be my power supplyā€¦bummer. I already bought everything including the 4 site hub, but havnt wired it yet. The other room with the gavitas still in use. This was a new setup to possibly replace the gavitas that I have been running. I guess im have to get an 8 hub site for 6 550ā€™s, Would I need to upgrade the breaker as well?

Didnā€™t think about that with the controller. You can always just go back to what you originally wanted and wait on the sinks right? Since youā€™re waiting to finish grow anyway?

You have 50 amp main breaker feeding 40 amp controller right? Just add full load currents on whichever driver you end up with and make sure it clears max for your controller.

1 Like

@dbrn32 well I was bringing a second room in for my own side by side. I do very well with gavitas and was going to run both head to head , gavitas and led thats why I was trying to build an led to be equal to de. I already have the girls ready, 6 strains I think, all from same mothers, and equal numbers of each to be fair with same veg time. The gavitas are rolling but this delay messed up the led transplant day,. I had to go into 5 gallon smart pots but the led side is still in 1 gallon under 8 qb 120. Already the side by side is off because of that, and I have everything ready to go. Then I just found out about the 80% power hike in Ca, this garden is part of a very small co-op, and we may consider just squashing one room and running with the 550 for now. I love Gavitas but almost double the cost of power for us small people is a game changer, in a negative way. Even with led our power bill will now be considerably more then with Gavitas :frowning:. We are considering just doing both rooms straight led now, and with one setup almost done minus the heatsinks, and the hlg 550 clones on the way, we may convert both rooms just based on power alone.

1 Like

Iā€™ll be completely honest, 550 is designed to be more competitive with single ended. Having been in a room with 2 gavitaā€™s, theyā€™re much more difficult to compete with than a se. The gavita already pushes about 30-40% increase in efficiency over se, so not as much room to save energy. I think youā€™ll still be happy with the qbā€™s, but theyā€™re not gonna pull magic tricks on a gavita fixture for fixture.

1 Like

@dbrn32 Yea, but Iā€™ve heard 600 watts led will replace de, and 6 hlg 550 equals 1.5 550s for each de, so it should be a direct replacement In that situation No? 6 550 vs 4 de gavita 1000s?

6 Likes

Little bud pic of last cutā€¦

That bud really looks good you have there

2 Likes

6 to 4 I think youā€™ll be in plenty good shape.

1 Like

@Onlythebest79 Thank you, itā€™s a cut one of my buddies crossed. I forgot the lineage but man itā€™s tasty. I took some footage and was running a lot of bag seed stuff so thereā€™s subpar genetics while pheno hunting from bag seed. Footage is crappy tho looks yellow so I never posted it anywhere. Was playing with leaf strip, so I took the footage for shits n giggles. Got some ocean grown genetics I havnt popped yet from socal cup this year. Canā€™t wait.

1 Like