Hoping to figure out what I am doing wrong

Outdoor grow. Approximate long/lat is 40.7608° N, 111.8910° W (northern Utah, its hot here during the day 92-99 degrees F)
HOles dug, 2’x2’ give or take. Soil is mix of compost, potting soil and about 10% site area soil (this is an ancient riverbed I live in, mostly large river rocks with a little bit of sandy soil inbetween the rock layers, some of the rocks are scattered next to the plants). I added blood and bone meal, lime, cocoa, earthworm castings, all pictured. To rid of pests I use neem and spary-on permethrin product. My biggest issue is the deer ( I think…they live on my property) have dug up the second plant twice. They are 3 feet from eachother, and they only go after the one…I used more earthworm castings in that soil which anecdotal evidence would point to as that issue. I put the river rocks on top and they stopped messing with it, whatever “they” were.

These are bag seed. Unknown strain, but I didn’t like it, it was just the one bag I could find seeds in over the last two years. I ordered some autos from this site and want to figure this out before I do the next batch.

I started these in mid may from seed. I left them in 1 gallon pots for 4 weeks…they appear to be quite stunted as result ( I went to Denver for two weeks…where I completely forgot about everything at home enjoying kush and rockies baseball)

Plant 1

plant 2

Is anything obvious?

If deer are causing a problem I would suggest you pee around the plant area. Not close enough to get into your plants soil, but around the area where you’re growing. They SHOULD smell your pee and want to get away from there. as far as the plants, I have no idea! Wish I could help more!

This is your problem

Problems with Phosphorus being locked out by PH troubles
Cold wet soils, acid or very alkaline soils, compacted soil.

Soil

Phosphorus gets locked out of soil growing at ph levels of 4.0-5.5
Phosphorus is absorbed best in soil at a ph level of 6.0-7.5 (wouldn’t recommend having a ph of over 7.0 in soil) Anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a Phosphorus deficiency.

Solution to fixing a Phosphorus deficiency
Some deficiency during flowering is normal, but too much shouldn’t be tolerated. Any chemical or organic fertilizers that have Phosphorus in them will fix a Phosphorus deficiency. If you have a phosphorus deficiency you should use any N-P-K ratio that is over 5.Again Peters all purpose 20-20-20 is a good mix. Miracle grow Tomato plant food, Miracle grow All purpose plant food (Only mixing at ½ strength when using chemical nutrients, or it will cause nutrient burn!) Other forms of phosphorus supplements are: Bone meal, which is gradual absorption, I suggest making it into a tea for faster use, where bone/blood meal is slow acting, but when made into a tea it works quicker! Fruit eating bat guano, which is fast absorption, Worm castings, which is gradual absorption, Fish meal, which is medium absorption, Soft Rock Phosphate, which is medium absorption, Jamaican or Indonesian Guano, which is fast absorption. Crabshell, which is slow absorption. Tiger Bloom , which is fast absorption.

Here is a list of things to help fix a Phosphrus Deficiency.

Chemical

Advanced nutrients Bloom (0-5-4)
Vita Bloom (0-7-5)
BC Bloom (1.1-4.4-7)
GH Flora Bloom (0-5-4)
GH Maxi Bloom (5-15-14)
GH Floranova Bloom (4-8-7)
Dyna-Gro Bloom (3-12-6)
Fox Farm Tiger Bloom (2-8-4)
Awsome Blossums

Organic

Dr. Hornby’s Iguana Juice Bloom (4-3-6)
Advanced Nutrients Mother Earth Bloom (.5-1.5-2)
Fox Farm Big Bloom (.01-.3-.7)
Earth Juice Bloom (0-3-1)
Pure Blend Bloom (2.5-2-5)
Pure Blend Pro Bloom (2.5-2-5)
Buddswell (0-7-0)
Sea Island Jamaican Bat Guano (1-10-0)
Indonesian Bat Guano (0-13-0)
Rainbow Mix Bloom (1-9-2)
Earth Juice Bloom (0-3-1)
BIO BLOOM (2-6-3.5)
AGE OLD BLOOM (5-10-5)
ALASKA MORBLOOM (0-10-10)
METANATURALS ORGANIC BLOOM (1-5-5)

Any of these will cure your phosphorus deficiency. Affected leaves will not show recovery but new growth will appear normal.v

Check your PH !!

B Safe
Will

2 Likes

Wow, thank you Will. That’s was pretty damn informative and specific. You are the man.

I went and got a digital ph tester (ferry morse - from home depot) and my ph levels were 5.1 and 5.6 respectively.

I then googled and found bone meal would help…which I already have. I took 1 table spoon per 1 gallon distilled water and threw it in a container, shook it up, and pour around my plants. NO…no one told me to do it that way. I just wanted to try it. I am certain this was stupid, but I did it anyway. After 10 minutes my PH readings were at 6.4 and 6.7. I am willing to wager my change in readings were only indicative of more water being added…or something else…cause that really cant be all it takes to fix…right?

I will get some 20-20-20 MG and follow instructions.

If you don’t mind I have a follow up question,
(1) did I ruin these plants by leaving them in a 1 gallon clay pot from birth to 4-5 weeks old?

(2) Is any auto more suited for the desert-ish climates of northern Utah?

This is just a test run with these bag seeds. I have some amnesia haze autos ordered as of yesterday from this site. I just want to figure this out on these testers prior. And if they (these testers) grow, great, but I really just care about those autos on the way.

1 Like