Hood to close to ceiling?

Hello kind folks!
Ready to fire up formally retired and now revamped smaller grow room.
4’x3’ grow space in room w/a bit of area in front and to right & left of grow bed to work it. There is excellent incoming airflow and exiting exhaust in place. I know I should start my 1000w HPS about 30” above babies correct? My concern is this places the top of my hood pretty dang close to the above ceiling joists. How close can the distance between hood top and ceiling joist bottom be safely?

4 Likes

Welcome to ILGM. @HapHazard

The distance above the hood would depend on if it’s an open one or something insulated.

My open hood will burn my arm but the xxxl 8 in vented is cool to the touch. I can place this one at the ceiling without any issues.

Got any pics ?
:v::call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Welcome to the community !

4 Likes

Welcome!

3 Likes

Welcome to the community

4 Likes

Processing: E43B64A5-35AC-4938-9863-297B6D7B0C42.jpeg…

2 Likes

@HapHazard
Do you have the flanges to hook up exhaust right to your hood ?
8 inch should work nicely

Here’s a pic of mine. Don’t mind the mess.
Rooms been shut down since the end of July. Pretty much how I left it when I finished the last one. :wink:

I run the 2 x 8 in exhaust into 1 x 10 in fan and pull the air thru the lights.
As you can see the Center one ( 1000 w ) is right at the ceiling and I had no issues with it getting hot above the hood.
The open one on the left I had to leave a few inches of clearance. ( 600 w ). Hood on the right also a 600.
If you’ve got a laser temp gun it will give you an exact temp of ur ceiling joists above.
Just don’t want it too hot to hold ur hand on.
:v::call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Thx man,
I believe all will be good. I’ll do the hand test during the dry run. :v::sunglasses:

1 Like

Doesn’t look like that should be an issue. But if it helps you sleep better you could get a piece of that foil sided insulation board thats about an inch thick and fire resistant

1 Like

That is a Gr8 suggestion.
Thx! :v:

1 Like

Some good suggestions on here already. Following along for the grow. Welcome to the forum community :slight_smile:

1 Like