Homemade 5G hydro bucket system, using what I got for now. Request feedback

Thank you! It seems to be working even better than I thought it would.
Easy to deal with. Mix up a gallon of nutes as desired, PH to 5.8 - 6.0
Then just pour the whole gallon in the bucket.
She’s effectively using 1+ gallons of water per day now!

2 Likes

Slight issue to solve. The plant is growing too fast and getting too close to the light!
I had to tie some of the branches down so I could bend them under the net to keep them from touching the light. Solving 1 problem always exposes other problems to be addressed. I had just put the pump in the center of the bucket and lowered the bag on top of that. The bag would not sit level and the water pumping up into the bag caused the center of the bag to move up and the edges to go lower. I needed the bag to sit flat on top of the pump. The pumps little suction holder would not stay on the pump and then the pump would tip on it’s side. All no good things. Reattached the suction mount to the pump and secured with duct tape so it would not fall off again. Another issue solved for now. Mounted the pump with the valve that points up set in the middle of the bucket. I searched the kitchen and found this little steaming tray. I flipped it over and placed it on top of the pump leaving a flat level platform to put the bag on. Put the bag back in the bucket and it sits flat with its top edge now sitting about an inch above the bucket’s lip. OK, it is sitting flat and level now so I can even add more water to the bucket than before. OK, Pump and Bucket issues all seem to be resolved for now. Now back to the original problem the buds are growing too close to the light. Using the tie-downs and the elastic netting I am working on routing too tall buds to areas where they no longer reach the light. This problem is a work in progress and will need branches re-positioned and adjusted on a daily basis. Now I think I can now keep the plant off the light with my daily adjustments! The pump with the bag sitting flat on it should now work even better! :+1: :sunglasses:

Any helpful suggestions to explore out there?

3 Likes

You look like you’re about the same stage in flower as I am with my autos.

If I had a height restriction, I would do whatever it takes to keep all the tops at the same height, weather it is pinching, cropping, tying down. You have to keep them away from the light, OR… let them grow and run into the light…. Ouch! It’s a battle we have to concur at times. :v::sunglasses:

1 Like

During the fixing of the pump in the bucket issues, the bag sat on the bucket rim as I fixed things.
Get her back in the bucket sitting flat and notice some leaves were touching the LED during the fix. Got a few scorched leaves to remove. Hopefully, now I will be able to keep all the other tops from getting too close to the light and getting scorched too!

1 Like

Day # 51 from dropping seeds in water. 5 more weeks to go???
I am hoping my few lower branches can get level with the rest.
Then I can finalize everyone’s positions and let them finish up without the moving-around drama of busting or burning any bud sites! :+1: :sunglasses:

I’m 60 days from dropping in water on Baby, the one on the left and 75 days on Sugar, the one on the right.
Most will count flower time from the first day of bud sites… roughly.
So, they started flowering about a week apart and I first saw bud sites about, 2 & a half weeks ago on Sugar and a week & a half ago on the Baby. So 6 weeks on Sugar and 7 weeks on Baby roughly.

That was Friday. I haven’t had a chance to look at them since. I’ll try to get some pictures tonight after 10 when they wake up. :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

5 Likes

Made a change in the pump timer today.
The cardboard on top was slightly wet and the soil seems to be a little too wet.
So I was running the pump 1/2 hour on 1/2 hour off 24/7.
I’m thinking she might do better if the soil dries up more.
Changed timer to 1/2 on 1 1/2 off. So from 1-1 down to 3-1.
I think the 30 minutes is enough for the roots to get what they need still.
And 90 minutes gives time for the roots to get some oxygen too.
Things are still looking good, but wondering if it could be even better?

2 Likes

I do seem to be using less water now, so some was just evaporating away before.

See how some of her buds look today, here:

@Nicky @ADK_Guerrila @spyonyou @Caligurl @Sigourney @FullyMedicated @Hellraiser @Dhooter @Bamamojo @pillsbury

8 Likes

Well, I say the proof of concept is validated.
But I have bigger issues to deal with now.
The bucket robs the plant of 6+ inches of height.
So I removed the bucket & pump and added 2 side LEDs.

Looking to give the WWA all the light I can to help her finish her buds. :+1: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

The Auto-Pot system only uses like 2" and keeps the plant at optimum water usage.

I’m a little concerned about the increased temp caused by my 2 additional side LEDs.
But I was running all 3 LEDs at 100% when I recorded 97 F.
I’ve lowered the 2 side LEDs down to like 20% and the top to 80%.
I also just turned the Auto-pot system on, so the humidity should also rise with the temp now.
I’m watching closely for any malfunctions in the Auto-pot, so far so good.
I thought my buds had a lot of their white hairs turn orange but this pic does not seem to show that.

@Nicky @ADK_Guerrila @spyonyou @Caligurl @Sigourney @FullyMedicated @Hellraiser @Dhooter @Bamamojo @pillsbury

8 Likes

I have to agree. Just the top ones show some darkness towards the tips but rest are white

2 Likes

I used to worry more about the heat but after growing 3 plants outside this summer in 100+f weather, I kinda gave up stressing

6 Likes

This is probably the best way to improve your results!
I can tell my Super Silver Haze in the Auto-pot is growing much faster than its sister.

The indoor WWA in the Auto-pot is doing well.

An early test of the outdoor WWA’s low down buds confirms, this stuff is fire! :+1: :sunglasses:

5 Likes