Hmmmm. Fungus gnats and newly germed seeds

Hey guys. So I’m not a complete moron I promise. Well not for the most part haha. So I obtained 5 non fems from dispo here. It’s a set of genetics I’m particularly interested in, as it has 4 different versions of my favorite, chemdawg, in its lineage. Gorrila dawg. Seeds germed in 24 hours like usuall. But, I looked over, and saw a freakin little gnat in another plant. I looked, there was quite a few. Treated with neem and safer soap. But my question is… will these little assholes migrate to my new seedlings? I’m assuming that if they manage, and lay there satan offspring, will there germination take long enough for the seeds to pop, and not eat all my damned new roots? I’m afraid to treat the new soil and kill the bae baes. I got these pests from a buddy’s clone of hawwain Dutch. I though the larvae In the run off were spring tails. :roll_eyes: they weren’t. I initially mixed a soil that had to much wetting agent. I tossed it and watering is back on track. But ma seeds!!!

1 Like

Fungus gnats are coming from your soil not the plants. To get rid of them try to let the soil dry out as much as possible. The wet soil bring more and more

3 Likes

Yezzir. Absolutley. It’s been a couple few years since growing. Took a minute to get my watering habits back on point. My concern is that I treated the soil of all my others. Good deal. But i had just planted 6 seeds in fresh wet soil. I know that the gnats do.nothimg themselves. I just dont want there larvae to infest and kill those seeds, before they pop and I get a chance to treat the soil. I’m assuming neem in the soil would affect germ rite? How about diamasticaus earth, will it affect them if I layer on top?

I would just get some yellow sticky traps to manage them for a bit. If the problem gets worse add some mosquito bits to the top layer of soil to kill off the larvae

3 Likes

Try these….

Those sticky strips won’t do the job like this one will. This is over a course of a few months. No gnats…just flies since they come in when its so dry here.

They are a $1.97 at Walmart in the Camping and Hiking section. At least that is where they are at in our local Walmart. These are the best fly strips I have ever seen in my life and I just turned 49.

4 Likes

Ok cool. So Im ok with those seeds being freshly popped. This is so strange. It’s been so long since I’ve grown, I keep getting newbie jitters. Hahaha. Just with certain strains I’m raising or germing now… I know I know.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen those before… I’m omw now. I usually get the cheap folded yellow and blue rectangles from the grow shop here, but they seem less effective for some reason.

1 Like

I don’t know how long Repel has been making them. I ran into them one day and said screw it. I’ve tried others but they are not effective like Repel is. I have two new ones because everyone here was buying fly strips.

I love these ones. I tried this one that was a rectangle shape and it didn’t catch a single fly. It wasn’t cheap.

3 Likes

In my mind, I pictured god forsaken larvae, crawling into the crack of my newly popped seed, and devouring it. May be just a touch paranoid lol.

Well. There not technically cheap, like 6 bucks for 5. But, they catch alot of dust, and become way less effective. Do the ones you speak of have a bait on them?

1 Like

I don’t know what they use to attract flies but it has something that does.

Its very sticky in the yellow tube. I will only use these…period. Just look at how many flies it has caught. For a little over $2, what do you have to lose trying them?

I tried the strips that you unwind and they caught some but not even in the same galaxy as the Repel.

2 Likes

I’m definitely converting.

1 Like

I rarely recommend stuff but when I do, its worth doing and or getting. :+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

And in that case it’s more than worth my investment🙂 thank you my friend!!

1 Like

New for this year are nematodes. I include them in all my soil builds. I no longer have a gnat problem.

4 Likes

You’re welcome…:+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

I’ve done some lite reading on nematodes. So pretty effective huh? Its crazy, we never had things like mycro supplements nematodes, and air pots. I will say this though. I find it super beneficial. As prohibition ends, different skill sets get to manifest themselves into absolutely great techniques. I’m excited for the future of the field!!

2 Likes

Just a quit thought. The soil treatments I’ve currently administered, wont kill the nematodes?

Me too. I’m currently negotiating with a dispensary in OK who needs clones.

I don’t know. My grows are 100% organic.