HLG scorpion RSpec vs HLG 600 RSpec vs HLG Blackbird

I’m new to growing and this particular forum. Wanted to pick your brains on lights. I had purchased an automated machine and it ended up being a POS! Needless to say, I’m moving on and setting up a tent. My tent is only 6ft with no extension and I want an HLG light, but I have no idea which one to get. The Diablo sounds amazing, but is expensive. I’m lookin at 3 HLGs-scorpion rspec, 600 r spec and blackbird. I think the scorpion rspec will be my best bet and of course the most expensive of the 3, but height wise I think I would work best. I believe the 600rspec needs 24-36”, blackbird 18-24” and the scorpion rspec 12-18” Would love some feedback from y’all. Thanks

2 Likes

tagging @dbrn32 he has light knowledge.

welcome to the community.

1 Like

Your tent is 6’ tall, how wide and deep?

2 Likes

I’m with dbm how wide is the tent. 4x4. 5x5. 10x10 the scorpion is a badass light I have one and love it. It will blind ur ass tho puts out some solid buds oh it looks good in pics also. My room is 4x7x8 high and I have 1x scorp diablo and 1x 260xl with 3 uva strips

5 Likes

4x4 tent w/ 6ft height. Thought I had mentioned that. :crazy_face:

Blackbird is big enough if that’s the way you want to go. It is a smaller light though, depending on what you’re looking for down the road.

1 Like

Can’t go wrong with the Scorpion Diablo.

4 Likes

I can’t wait to add the UV strips to mine bro. Best investment I’ve made so far is the Scorpion Diablos

1 Like

Your limiting factor is the height of your tent. Go as tall as you can go on height and don’t cheap out on it. Fact is very few of us when we get real lights run them right down on the canopy of the plants unless we are forced to. There is just no real return hugging the buds with the lights and a ton of risk.

Thank you so much for your input. If all goes well, down the road, I may do a flower tent.

1 Like

Great fact! I actually have a hand me down tent so I figured I’d set myself up with a decent grow, but now you have me thinking it’s go tall or go home! And how tall? Then that goes back to which light is best in a 4x4 tent at the height you suggest? I appreciate your input

My tent is 3’ x 3’ x 7’11" with a 1’ extension. I would have went with the 2’ extension but the ceiling height was 1" short. The only saving grace is I put my exhaust fan on the outside top of the tent so the light can go all the way up close if need be. And I have used all the height the tent has to offer. A couple of real leggy sativa’s. This is a real Columbian Gold plant grown from 1975 seed. The real deal I only topped once and seeing she was the last one I let her go and do her thing. I had her to tops bent over and tied to the two outlayers seen in the pic. She was well over 6’ tall where her tops turned down. I would have liked a 4’ x 4’ tent but theres just not enough room in my office/man cave. I’ve had my Gorilla tent well over 4 years now and wouldn’t change a thing.

5 Likes

If you train your plant, you can reduce the height considerably and keep the canopy more even.

Moving the light in as close as possible (you should measure with a light meter) gets you a higher intensity which reduces stretching, and/or allows you to dim the light down, saving you money on the old electric bill.

2 Likes

that one is tall

You can also move the exhaust fan and filter outside the tent. I have a 3x3x7 GT with the fan and filter outside. I am glad It is. I will be using every bit of height I can get with my current plant.

Thank you everyone for your input. I will keep you updated on what I decide. All of yours information is so helpful. I’m sure I’ll be asking all kinds of questions! Happy growing!

1 Like

@dbrn32 i was looking at getting the blackbird in a couple months, would that fit in a 80cmx80cm tent?

1 Like

Barely. If you run a lot of negative pressure on your tent the walls may rub fixture. Not the end of the world but can cause tears.

1 Like

Okay sweet, when I upgrade light I’ll also upgrade tent :laughing:

1 Like

I’m currently running the Black Bird in my ACI 3x3x7 and it is has more than enough power. I have it raised almost to my filter and not even turned half way up. Sitting at about 70 DLI @ 10-11” and plants love it! Still need to get a UV bar.

They do also now offer an attachment for all three of the lights you listed that makes the light Bluetooth controllable.

1 Like