Hlg scorpion diablo 650 rspec in a 4x4, what do you think?

Hello friends !! I was just curious about what you all think about putting a HLG Scorpion Diablo 650 rpsec into a 4x4 tent? I currently am running a HLG 600 rspec in that tent but have been thinking about taking advantage of hlg’s croptober sale event and grabbing the best of their bests lights and purchasing one of the 650 scorpion diablo lights . The 600 rspec has done me very well in that tent so far so I would think that getting the 650 with those diablo boards would help me take my grow to the next level. The measurements of the diablo pretty much fills the footprint of the 4x4 almost perfectly and I feel that with the extra size compared to the 600 rspec I wouldn’t have to use the multiple smaller supplemental lights I have been using in there. I would just like to know what you all think about someone doing this? Would it be too much? Or would it be awesome? I definitely like the idea of how it could be more efficient then using the 600 but just not too sure . What do you all think ?

7 Likes

@dbrn32 @PurpNGold74 @MrPeat @Graysin @Hellraiser

2 Likes

I think your gonna light that mofo up! If it fits sure.

Be prepared to fight a bit more heat but not crop wrecking. Sweet light tho

3 Likes

Thanks for the tag. If it were me I’d pull the trigger and be ready to add some UV bars along the flanks just for some extra fun. If I could have afforded the scorpion when I was light shopping for my 4x4, it woulda been the one for me. Those Diablo boards are seriously intense.

2 Likes

I enjoy my 350R with the Diablos…they had me at Diablo…

5 Likes

@PurpNGold74 yeah the light is like 38in by 36in so it would pretty much fit perfectly, would just need to make sure I hang it at a hight where I could still clip my fans onto the corners of the tent without anything hitting one another . I did think about the heat issue , I’m hoping that if I pull the trigger it wouldnt be too much more than I already deal with now. I know that with my supplemental lighting on it brings the tents temp up about 4-5°F so I’m thinking that by putting in the scorpion diablo in there and the supplemental out , I would still be able to keep it within the range I like …hopefully lol. I’m almost thinking maybe just get the regular 650rspec with the diablos but honestly I just really really want that scorpion hahahaha

3 Likes

@Graysin yeah dude I totally agree , I already have 1 of hlg’s uv bars already so I would like to do the scorpion diablo with 2 uv bars and then I think I would be able to pull all the other lighting out of the tent besides that setup I just mentioned and it would be more than sufficient.

Get an 8" fan at 800CFM, that’ll do a 4x4x8 6 full exchanges a minute, that should control the temp suffiently

1 Like

And I say pull the trigger now. You’re not gonna be happy with the other one so get what you really want.
I learned a long time ago I’m never satisfied with what I consider acceptable over what I really want.
Life is short - get your kicks in now because there ain’t no guarantees for the future!

1 Like

@Pet_de_Chien yes I have already been wanting to upgrade my 6in ac infinity exhaust fan to their 8in one . Also since I have always ran a passive Intake I feel the 8in one would do what I need it to especially if I get that scorpion. With my 600rspec now I always have the 6in on full blast so that may be another upgrade I need to do for sure if I grab this light

Definitely! Then you can probably run at 75% or less and have excellent coverage.

2 Likes

@Tylersays you are absolutely right my friend that is exactly what I’ve been thinking , for the extra couple hundred bucks between the scorpion diablo and the 650rspec I would really rather get the one I’d prefer to have !!!

1 Like

@BobbyDigital yes that’s exactly my thoughts on that as well and with the better efficiency of that compared to my 600rspec it would probably still be a lot brighter than my 600 on full blast!

1 Like

I have had the scorpion diablo in my cart on hlg’s website for the last few days just waiting to convince myself to go for it for an early Christmas present to myself hahaha and I think opening this topic is what I needed to finally do it ! Lol also I have been dropping hints to my girlfriend saying that I think I’m gonna buy it and she seems cool with it so I may as well do it before she changes her mind and I’ll get my a$$ kicked for spending that kinda money hahahahaha

1 Like

Have a smoke and couple drinks…always help make great decisions…

5 Likes

Go for it! I just started growing again last month, this is actually the first time I’ve posted since I’ve been back. I upgraded my closet grow from a Mega to the Scorpion Diablo. The plants are only 3 weeks old, so it’s still on very low power, but they’re loving it so far. I can’t wait until I can crank her up and see what she can do!

7 Likes

Well you probably wouldn’t need it to run full blast either. I put a small fan on top of my HLG 260xl rspec and it helps pushes the heat out.

If you can control the room temps, then it will help control the tent temps.

I wish I could afford this light for my 4x4 but I love the ability of raising and lowering my two panels as needed.

@Cap_Ron well hello !!! And welcome back my friend ! What size area Is that where you have the scorpion diablo in?

1 Like

I would also like to add that I do plan on continuing growing indefinitely so I feel that getting the scorpion diablo would benefit me in the long run cause when I finally have room to get a bigger tent then I have now I’ll already have more than enough light for it between the scorpion and 600 rspec

Thanks dude! It’s a 4’ x 6’ closet, and even though it’s still on low power, I can tell it dissipates heat better than the Mega did. I like the shape of the Scorpion. The open spaces allow a lot of heat to rise up and get pulled out by the exhaust fan. The Mega kind of served as a giant collector plate and trapped a ton of heat beneath it.