HLG LIGHT question

I have the hlg260xlv2 those of you using these and similar lights how do you handle increasing the intensity after transplant as the plant starts and continues veg? When do you start increasing and how much at a time? Trying to see if I’m doing it the best way. Sooooo tell me how you do it. Thanks.

I used to have the lights at 24” and turned down to 50w to start and turned them up 10w at the end of each week. By flower they were all the way turned up. I’m not sure if the 260 can drop to 50w or not. Now I use my vipar blurples for veg. They do much better due to more blue spectrum than my rspec or 3000k boards.

3 Likes

Last grow just turned it up a little at a time over the veg cycle with little or no pattern. Just wondering if there was any “technique” that was better than I had?

1 Like

I have the 260’s as well, I use them strictly for flower only now, but when I used them for veg I would run them around 50% at 20 inches.

Lol, did you forget how that plant turned out? I’d just do that again

3 Likes

Point taken! LOL just trying to “tweek” if you will. I feel like I have a good understanding of the growth cycles now but the details and technics used are my week point. I am learning but like I said before sometimes I need a picture LOL.

2 Likes

I usually start 30 inches and power all the way down which Is about 100 wats or so. I’ll adjust usually every 3 days in power or height depending on how the plants respond. I have 2 Strawberry Cough seedlings right now though in a dome that have just started day 2 under 280 watts at 40 inches due to being in the flower tent and they are doing great! They may literally grow up to be on giant node lol but hey we’ll see what happens!!

2 Likes

I think it’s worth taking note as to what’s going on in the grow and applying basic principles from there. You can keep intensity low to induce a little stretch if need be. Or hit them hard at transition to try and slow them down if getting out of hand. As a general rule I typically don’t have my lights at full power until about week 2-3 of 12/12. This grow though I switched to coco and kinda got caught with pants down. I vegged for a week longer than anticipated trying to get stuff to fix some light leaks. By the time I was ready to flip I had light at full power and right on top of them trying to stunt them.

1 Like

I appreciate the detail. That’s what I’m trying to learn. That makes sense when you explain it that way as I can see how the cause and effect works so to speak.

1 Like