HLG 550 V2 ECO - 120V / 3000K Full Cycle

Finally, after weeks of waiting she has shipped and will arrive on Friday. Before I get things up and running, there are a couple questions I have. I am upgrading from a ~390 watt blurple from amazon that I used in a 32x32x60in tent with 5 WW Autos (1st ever grow). I also upgraded the tent, so the HLG will be in a 48x48x80. I have a couple ladies that are about 2 weeks old under the blurple in the new tent right now.

My questions:
What is a safe power for seedlings/younger plants with the HLG?
Should I just keep seedlings/younger plants under the blurple in the smaller tent?
Can I have plants at multiple stages under the HLG?
When is it safe to crank it up to full power?
Is this HLG poweful enough to have 8-10 autos under it at once?
Is it stupid to keep the blurple in the tent with the HLG just to have a little more power?

Thanks for any help on any of the questions :sunglasses:

I run my seedlings under an older blurple panel until big enough to transplant. Once that’s done they go under the gucci lights on a schedule. I would turn that light all the way down for veg and watch node spacing: if too long you can lower light and or up power.

4 Likes

@Myfriendis410 gave good advice. I started my seedlings under an HLG 260, which is roughly half of your’ light. I lifted it as far as it would go at full power and it worked a treat. I would hang it as high as it will go and dim it to the detent in the middle of the nob. If they start getting stretchy turn it up. If it still stretches, start lowering it. Alternatively, you can download the Korona app and pay $4.99 for the full spectrum part. I’ve tested it against my friends’ Milwaukee meter and it’s accurate. Shoot for 300 PPFD. If you get the app, go to settings right away and change the metering to lux. Cell phone cameras are not capable of accurately measuring the default parameter.

1 Like

If you can keep both tents up running a 100% dedicated flowering tent seems to work better for me. Growing plants are really EZ but flowering a good plant is not as EZ and all you want.
You probably got the best non-DIY light for the money out there now :boom:
You’d just be wasting it on growing plants.

1 Like

What ppfd would you shoot for when plants in full veg and then going into flower?

1 Like

Around 600

I’m running the hlg 550 V2 rspec and for seedlings I have the power dimmed down to the lowest setting and light is about 1200 mm away it is a very powerful light for seedlings I normally start the first 7 days off life under T5 an t8 fluros then once they have established a nice root I will move
I keep light on 70% for first 3 weeks of veg an hanging Height of light of 900mm then increase light power an lower light as they grow more,these lights really come into there own in flower

I can’t say enough good things about these lights

3 Likes

Gday Aussieorganic I’m also in Oz and noticed this post on your light. I have just purchased the HLG 550 v3. Am growing in a 1.2 x 1.2 x 2 tent. I have six 3gallon pots. My seedlings were started in peat pots and are now a week old and have put them in their pots full of organic soil, Peats moss and perlite 1:1:1. I have the light at 50cm and at 60%, which was recommended to me from the place of purchase. Your light is very similar but your setup is quite different. I don’t know the wiser as i am new to growing. Have I been given less than desirable information from my supplier in your opinion?

1 Like

G’day mate ,yeah well everyones tent is different but after a fair few rounds under the hlg 550 V2 rspec I’ve found that it is a very powerful light an I’ve had better success with this light hanging from a higher height ,I start under T5,t8 for the first week of germination,then when they are big enough they go under the hlg but I hang very high then lower as they grow up but I normally have it around the 900mm height for most of veg at about 70to 80 % power then gradually lower to around 700mm into flower and crank it up to full power for flower
But this way suits my room an my way of growing
I run a very similar soil too my roof height is 2.1

1 Like

Yeah cheers Aussie. This morning I raised it to 900mm and wound it back to 40%. Will see how they have reacted in a day or so.

1 Like

@Kushahn do you have the new hlg 650R Diablo it’s there new light out

@Kushahn your seedlings look real nice an healthy an a sweet tent set up too :call_me_hand:

1 Like

No I have this one

@Kushahn ok sweet you have the eco same light as mine just I have all the red diaodes through mine ,
Awesome light an you won’t be disappointed,since switching over my yeilds have gotten bigger an the terpenes profile is so strong like the buds are so covered in trichomes