High PPM, but plant seems fine

Hey all, after transplanting my girl into a fresh container of Ocean Forest, I have two straight weeks where the PPM seems sky high (getting inconsistent readings, 3800-4200, jumps around a lot on meter).

However, I’m not seeing any chicken clawing or tip burning yet. Has anyone every gotten readings this high from a new bag of soil?

The thing that confuses me, however, is that even after getting readings this high, the plant is actually praying after a watering. I was going to perform a flush to drop to the 2000s, but the plant seems ok?? Any insights are appreciated.

Should I just let her ride?? Some details:
Week 2 flower, strain: planet of the grapes by ethos, soil and synthetic nutrients, ocean forest soil. Light at 18” and 50% power (200W). Tent size is 3x3.

2 Likes

Turn that up. You want to be at 100% by week 6

3 Likes

As far as the light goes, I go 50% off finishing power at transition, 75% at week 3-4, and 100% week 6. Im still barley out of my first week into flower.

1 Like

Fresh bags of ocean Forrest start out in the 4000 - 5000 ppm range, if you flush it you flush the nutrients that were going to feed the plant for the first month or so. Don’t flush them, monitor them until the ppm falls naturally to 1000 ppm range.

Me, I just wait until the plant shows a slight nitrogen deficiency then I start feeding.

3 Likes

Good to know! I’ll let her ride!

50%power @ 200Watts

or

50%power of 200Watts?
From measuring devices, I know the HLG350R@50%power is 200Watts and at 25inches PPFD 750-800

1 Like

There are lots of articles out there that explain the difference between high ppm readings from organic materials breaking down in your soil and high ppm numbers from feeding to much nutrients.

The numbers you’re seeing are totally normal for a hot soil, and it won’t hurt your plants. If you mixed salt based nutrients to 4000ppm and poured it in there, that’s a whole different animal, and it would hurt your plants badly.

2 Likes

Lights total power is 400W, which will also be its finishing power. So right now just 50% of that at 200W

2 Likes

This is a great insight, thank you! Something I didn’t even take into account.

2 Likes

Hey all!

Im having a similar scenario. I recently conducted some soil testing and my soil PH is spot on, but my PPM was through the roof at 7,000 ppm (Mind you, i amended the soil myself with Gaia Green organic amendments and may have gotten a bit carried away). My meter went from ppms to ppts it was so high. I did a flush on the two large plants yesterday and brought it down to 4000 and change. The two smaller girls, I have not done this. Shall i wait until they are more mature? They are showing slight burn. Also, the two larger are in their 5th week, can the high ppm be causing the stunted growth? Thanks everyone!