Hi completely new. Need advice on my grow spot

Hi beginner from VA and I’ve found a pretty good spot that gets good amounts of sunshine and is pretty well blended in with pine trees. It’s a 10’x10’ plot. Should I completely dig up this whole area say, 18" deep to make room for the root system? I’ve already started mixing compost from leaves and pine needles and I see plenty of worms in it. Also should I get rid of all the existing roots that are in my plot? Pics included

1 Like

How many plants are you going to grow there I would dig holes 1 and a half size bigger then the pot your plants are in and just as deep

1 Like

@repins12

2 Likes

It’s 100 square feet so I figure if I can give each plant 3’x3’ I can get about 10 plants. More pics included here

1 Like

I would collect a soil sample and do a ‘slurry test’ to make sure soil PH is correct. You can easily amend soil and not a bad idea to add additional natural source fertilizer worked in.

Is this a stealth grow or on property you control? (deer love cannabis plants)

3 Likes

Stealth grow but it’s very deep in the woods. Nobody sees me walking back and forth plus I can get there by way of my back yard. Doesn’t work castings or “black gold” as I’ve heard it called set soil to the right pH?

1 Like

When I used/still do my guerrilla grows in the Blue Ridge Mtns. in Va. I used to go back up in the mountains and look for a honeysuckle or brier patch. If It grew them weeds, it would grow my weed. I would woller out about a 10x 10, like you are talking at least a spade and a half to two spades deep and plant about 10 plants like you are talking, except I did multiple spots like this. If possible sometimes I would tote a bale or so of peat moss and mix in each patch. If not possible still not a deal breaker. Some of our soil is right fertile. The critters can usually be kept at bay with bloodmeal or if you know someone that has a hair cutting place, human hair works rather well, just wouldn’t use anything with your DNA. If I can be of any help with specific questions, let me know. I don’t want to put all of my secrets out there. I will tag you into my journal. By the way, welcome to the forum/community. I may be able to help you get er figured out. :+1: :v:

3 Likes

Guerrilla growing, now we are talking my bag of tricks, for sure thanks for tagging me @PharmerBob
I hope that all is well with you and yours my friend :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :v:
Be safe

2 Likes

I’d love to have an outdoor grow but it’s a no go. I may or may not have been a moonshiner in Ohio. Thinking of making a new pot still

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I need all I can get and thanks for tagging me in your journal :pray:

1 Like

I resemble that remark. I can not confirm nor deny :+1:
111 (4)

It appears that you must be in the flat lands, based on the terrain and the VA pines :v:

1 Like

Kinda reminds me of some property that my dad had close to Lake Anna or in the eastern part of the state. I’ve grown there as well :v:

1 Like

Yep. Some of the soil is clay-like but once I Break it up and mix it with compost it’s a lot better. What about those roots that u see in my picture would they affect plant growth??

@I-am-nestic Could STILL be :v:
@VA_flamez when I broke the soil up, I removed any excess plant matter. If possible for a 10x10, i bale of peat and a 5 gal bucket or 2 of composted for at least a year, horse/cow/chicken/pig/rabbit manure. All will work. Your gonna want to make sure that you get that VA clay broken up pretty damn good so, it doesn’t re-compact :+1: :tumbler_glass: :v:

1 Like

If you ever want to get that moved down here to Miami I’d be your guy.:rofl:

1 Like