Hermied maybe? I Need Help

Oh yeah you might as well finish it now I suppose. My question was directed at Keystone about not replanting the seeds

oh sorry didnt realise

1 Like

No worries brother.

1 Like

No, thatā€™s a great question. I wouldnā€™t grow them because we donā€™t actually know how likely this particular genotype is to express hermaphroditism, and self-pollination of (what should be) an F1 hybrid is going to produce really unpredictable individual seeds. My concern is that half the seeds would produce hermaphrodite plants, and hermaphrodites are more challenging to deal with than XY males.

If they were pollinated by an XY male plant, weā€™d still want to test and stress-test the genetics to see how much encouragement they need to express hermaphroditism, but here we have reason to believe the plants are easily induced to throw pollen.

In your case, I suppose it depends on the origins of the bag. How much do you know about the origin of the flowers you found the seed in? No detail is too small. Regardless, I would weigh the cost of a hermaphrodite versus the reward of one extra plant from unconfirmed genetics. When good seeds are less than $10 each, why mess around?

2 Likes

Iā€™m sold, thanks for the food for thought. I know literally nothing about the bag seed except I was mad at my dude for this substandard bag :joy:. Out it goes!

1 Like

Thatā€™s another factor. If the flower had a qualitatively unique effect on me, Iā€™d be more inclined to keep it and try to stabilize it. But if it was unremarkable, then why even bother?

I have exactly one bag seed. Itā€™s from a Golden Goat flower that came out of a ā€œprofessionalā€ dispensary. Since I have reason to believe they accidentally pollinated it with a male plant, I intend to cautiously grow it at some point. But itā€™s not even on my long list of projects.

1 Like

Makes perfect sense. My ONLY incentive to growing it was to see how much better I could make final product as compared to the guy/gal that butchered it.

1 Like