Here we go first auto indoor grow

Hey group I have been hanging around for a while. Thought I was ready to go a while ago and that was definitely not the case. So I am going to try this again. So here we go. What I have so far seeds,tent, soil,nutrients, and pots. I will start with questions in the next post or too.

3 Likes

My plan is to grow 4 plants total in a 5’x5’ tent under a soon to be purchased hlg 600 watt led light. This will be my first attempt in over 10 years to grow. First time indoors. Last time I had a friend helping me. My land his knowledge. So I am basically a noob as the kids say nowadays. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 Likes

Welcome aboard! You have some solid choices made already: I like the 5 X 5 tent. Excellent choice on lighting; what spectrum?

Do you have a good PH meter and TDS (PPM) meter? Both are necessary tools. Fabric pots? PH up and down? What is the water you will be using? All of these are important. If you are in a humid climate without adequate climate control you may want to invest in a dehumidifier or, conversely a humidifier if in a very dry one.

You can tag folks with the “@” sign like this: @dbrn32

2 Likes

Welcome @Fishjunkie!

@Myfriendis410 is a bud master take in everything he’s dishing out! Good luck and great start so far!

4 Likes

@Myfriendis410
I do not have the ph or tds meter yet and ph up or down so thank you for the advice. I had a saltwater fish tank in the past so I have a reverse osmosis set up with deonization capabilities. So I will have almost pure h2o. Not sure what ph I will have will need to test it. But I will be using a municipal water source so removing chlorine and other chemicals will necessitate a filter of some sort so the Ro system makes sense to me? I have regular 5 gallon plastic pots I picked up at the grow store by me.

4 Likes

As for climate control I am mulling over the new infinity I line fans either 4 or 6 inch I was hoping to get away with the 4 but I am growing in a basement so I think I might need the 6 inch just for humidity control.

1 Like

Also will have a carbon filter on the exhaust fan.

Good to see you around!

Definitely go with the 6" if you’re staying with ac infinity. 4" too small for that space in my opinion, especially if you plan on using a filter.

1 Like

@dbrn32 thanks I will do the 6" one for exhaust and one for intake? I feel that would be the right way to do it?

1 Like

So here are my choices what do you guys suggest. I was thinking jack and northern but I love diesel strains and the somango is so tempting. I dont want to screw up and choose something to difficult for a beginner

1 Like

I’ve never needed an intake fan growing in basement, have always gotten by with passive. Your experience may vary some though, will probably depend on things like temp of your intake air, size of your passive intake, and how much static load is on your exhaust.

2 Likes

The tent has 2 or 3 screens near bottom of tent can they be used for passive intake. I was planning on using some oscillating clip on fans for air movement do you think that is adequate to start with?

1 Like

R/O will work just fine. I and many others produce our own as the municipal water supply can be a problem. FYI until you add anything to pure water you don’t need to worry about PH’ing your water. Once you DO start adding nutes of any kind it becomes necessary to PH to the correct value for the media you are using. In this case soil at 6.3 to 6.8.

I would strongly recommend you buy a good PH meter as you will use it…A LOT! lol.

https://www.amazon.com/Apera-Instruments-AI209-Waterproof-Accuracy/dp/B01ENFOHN8/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=apera+ph&qid=1563318901&s=gateway&sr=8-3

This is one I have and recommend it.

2 Likes

Probably more than enough. Won’t matter as much with autos, but you should look into forming light traps around the passive intakes. I think you’ll know in plenty of time whether you’ll need intake fan or not. If you do, you can probably go with a less expensive fan there too.

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 I love amazon one click buy done and thank you for your help.
@dbrn32 I will go with this route and hope that the intakes will be enough. I will keep in mind for when I try photo periods the light blocking. Thanks

1 Like

Does anyone have advice on germinating seeds and can I use the happy frog just the way it is or is it too much for seedlings

2 Likes

I think you’ll do alright. I always use paper towel method to germinate, but I think majority use something like shot glass of ph’d water.

2 Likes

I just soak my seeds in r/o water for 24 hours then transfer them to a moist paper towel on my wifi router until I get a tap root. So far I’m batting 1000

And btw…you’ll love that light. Good to see someone doing stuff the right way

I would suggest buying ILGM seeds. guaranteed germination and they ship from CA. They always back their seeds.

3 Likes

As far a difficulty goes, an Indica or Indica dominant hybrid will be easiest, in my opinion.

1 Like