Here is my cheap grow light , first grow still learning

I also purchased a 2X2X4 grow tent . My questions are how long to leave light on (blue Dream Auto Strain) and what height above plant ? Thank you in advance !

1 Like

That light only pulls 100 actual watts and you likely need close to 400/4000 LED equiv to get a couple of plants to flower with decent sized buds. This may work for a single plant put into 12 hrs light and 12 hrs dark really early - like when the plant is a foot tall. The light you have can be placed about 12-18 inches above a well-rooted plant. For veg - I’d keep light on it 18 hrs.

1 Like

Thank you , will upgrade when I get more comfortable . Only doing one plant at a time until i feel like I know what im doing .

2 Likes

The only thin g you learn with cheep or poor lighting is that you need better lights! It’s like trying to learn to ride a bicycle with square wheels , the only thing you will learn is that you need round wheels. With round wheels you can learn to ride,corner,brake etc.

2 Likes

A 2x2x4 would only use 100/1000

You go by area with your light wattage… can’t just throw random numbers.

1 Like

Welcome to the community ! Would like to add 2x2x4 tent size to me would be seedling tent or maybe early veg. 4 feet high is not a lot of room to work with when you consider the height of the grow pot an hang the light and maintain 15 to 20 inchs from lights to plant doesn’t have much space to grow and finish. I recommend buy the tallest tent your space will accommodate. Just my thoughts good luck.

2 Likes

Or a 4 plant sog. I’m pretty sure my 8 plant isn’t breaking 4ft yet. But that might change. If I didn’t have a filter above this could probably finish in under 4ft. This tents only 2x4x6. Got a 4x4x7 for mother plants/veg.

1 Like

If you only got 1 plant for this light, you’ll be fine. To answer your questions, during seedling to vegetative, you’ll want the light on at least 18hrs per day. I usually run auto flower plants 20hrs per day. When it starts to flower (white pistils appear) you can leave it on the same schedule or switch it to 12hrs per day.

All lights are a little different so I suggest you check in the manual that came with the light to know the proper height based on the age of the plant.

2 Likes

Cheap lights can work if you find the power height for the design of that specific light , but you just have to have a plant growing speed of patience, and you can do it .

3 Likes

Any lights can work if they give off enough light. Newer phones with high quality cameras can read ppfd to. Free from the play store. Iphone has one that was called karona, changed their name for obvious reasons. Can’t remember to what. The ppfd app works extremely well on my note20 ultra. Then have Dr. Bruce Bugbee educate you to how to use it, youtube him. I erased all clipboard content. Probably linked it too much anyway. Lol. I can also tell you do to testing and causing fox tails around 1600 ppfd that the sf2000 puts out what it says. This was around 10 inches. Near center.

2 Likes

Super cool :sunglasses: you can have that advantage with just a smart phone instead of the expensive devices right .

1 Like

Wow, had no idea. Good info @Budz