Herb (spice) Grow

When I first started growing I bought an SP-150 Mars Hydro light to fill in the end of a 3X4 tent that has a separate veg area.

I removed the wall that separated the two areas as it was a pain trying to run two differing light schedules in one tent and keep the light contained. Turned out I didn’t need that system anyway. We get plenty of weed from just growing in the whole tent. So now we grow a few herbs or start other garden plants under the SP-150 on the shelf you see on the right side of the picture of a 3x4 tent like mine. As long as we don’t completely fill the shelf it doesn’t bother the cannabis plants below.

4 Likes

I’m just using a single HLG 135 panel above the 3 pots.

2 Likes

Right now I have some Mizuna growing under it. Got the seeds free from Rare Seeds in Marshfield MO. They don’t sell cannabis so I think the link is ok. Great seeds and they are guaranteed to germinate for two years from purchase date.
This was a nice surprise and it has a great flavor. Just a hint of a cabbage flavor with little to no bitterness if picked when leaves are young on the plant.

3 Likes

Looks a bit like rhubarb, but rhubarb has a very sour flavor.

2 Likes

It does except its far smaller. Leaves are maybe 8 to 10 inches long. Might get bigger planted outside, but in the tent its just smaller I guess.
Its like Romaine Lettuce and Cabbage had a baby.

2 Likes

A little trivia for herbs. I was curious how much DLI for basil, dill, and cilantro and Google delivered. They all require much less light than cannabis.

Basil: min DLI = 18
Dill: min DLI = 15
Cilantro: min DLI = 12

Makes sense. I’ve grown all before but never really paid attention to how much light I gave them indoors. I’ve grown it outdoors before. I have a North facing patio that never gets direct sunlight and they’ve all done very well.

4 Likes

Making progress:

3 Likes

Looks great.I’ve never started them from seed.I buy the plants in the grocery section of the store.you get 8 - 10 plants for the price of one that is potted from the garden center.just a coin saving tip.
Amazing how an herb can change a prepared dish to a wonderful tasteful meal.
Good job.

3 Likes

Put mine outside last week ,sage ,cilantro, dill, roma tomatoes

3 Likes

30 days from seed to harvestable basil, cilantro, and dill (left to right)

3 Likes

Anyone know what these are on my dill?

1 Like

Yes. They are dill flowers.

2 Likes

Time to lollipop that dill weed. May need to tie it down too. Ha

3 Likes

I just cut the flowers off my dill plants. The flowers aren’t used for anything that I am aware of.

1 Like

I was just being a clown.

Agreed, clip those flowers. Many herbs will die after blooming or get a bitter taste as all the energy and nutrition is going to the seeds at that point.

2 Likes

I got a laugh out of it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks thought it was seeds at first , things bout a ft tall crazy growth

:slight_smile: MidwestGuy G’day wow that was quick,lets go nice work.:slight_smile:

I fed my herbs Jacks Part B 2 days ago and the herbs have exploded with growth. Wow!

Basil, cilantro, and dill.

5 Likes

Now you just need some cucumbers to go with that dill. Dill pickle medibles. Ha

2 Likes