Hempe Bucket users?

So I went down the YouTube rabbit hole on this, looks interesting.
Anyone done/is doing this? Pros & cons?
Any info much appreciated.

1 Like

I would bet @imSICKkid might be able to share some input. Good luck! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

@HappyHydroGrower , thanks for the tag!
Some guys were using perlite only, some with a coco mix (which I know is popular here).
It’s got me curious. As many top notch growers that are here, including yourself, I figured someone has done it & could provide some thoughts.

1 Like

It seems light it would be no different than putting rocks in the bottom of the pot. Not sure what benefit it would have. I’m sure there is some science to it, just not sure what.
Good luck! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

1 Like

On my second grow using A hempy or sip container vs a fabric container last grow very fast vegetative growth no difference in flower but still seeing which I like better last one was coco and pearlite this time is coco and soil I also have a air pocket in mine that’s called a sip container check gardening with Leon on youtube he is a farmer using a similar system I put a plastic spaghetti strainer upside down a 5 gallon bucket with a weed Matt over the strainer. And a 1”’ peice of pvc to bottom water with a hole 2 and a quarter inch up. If you have a question for me I’ll. Awnser

3 Likes

@sparky66 thanks for the lead. I watched Leon’s video, seems like a simple enough system for sure.
You’re using liquid nutes I assume? Growing photos or autos?
How often do you need to water in a 5 gal?
I’m curious as to which media you’ll end up liking better.

1 Like

I used coco first run this run 50%coco 50% fox farm ocean forest I use jacks 321,recharge silica and ph down jacks is powder

3 Likes

Mostly photos but have done at least three auto runs

2 Likes

Sound like me almost. I’ve done all photos. I’m growing my first auto every. I have used Jacks on two other grows and love it.

1 Like

I’m in no way criticizing just curious why the mix? Why not all coco or all soil

1 Like

With coco I loved the grow but had to feed daily which some days you don’t have time soil is different you don’t have to feed or water daily I like experimenting and trying different methods a lot of people grow in coco loco which is basically what this mixture is also this time I am using coco as the wick last hempy used pearlite for the wicking layer I got tired of growing in ocean forest with gh nutes and got great weed but just want to keep learning :hugs::grinning:after this grow I will make my personal decision on hempys

2 Likes

@sparky66 sorry for all the questions, I’m just trying to understand the mechanics of this for weed as compared to a guy growing veggies.
So with either media choice you just water until it seeps out the drain hole & stop?
As compared to a guy in coco watering until achieving a certain percentage of runoff?
If so, evidently you’ve not experienced any salt/nute buildup that required a flush during the grow?

1 Like

With my all coco with pearlite at the bottom Hempy I would bottom feed most days the roots didn’t penetrate the weed mat once a week I would top feed to keep the soil moist and that was recharge day but I did let the soil dry out in flower when I top feed after that the plants exploded in bud production but that was the only hiccup the whole grow otherwise it went great but with my hempy you can either top or bottom feed and the pipe can be used in. Conjunction with a. Shop vac so you can flush and ii don’t like to let recharge sit in a res to long but to awnser seeds have vigorous growth and the main tap root is more of a water root and doesn’t mind wet feet. Where the feeder roots are more in the soil so I am trying my new mix to see if this works better I was really happy last grow but I do feel like the plant got a little lazy always having.what it needs soaking the roots in nutes I did run an average of 600 ppm in jacks and would constantly feed until runoff ppm got to 2000 which only happened once and received a water only and it shot way down if you monitor runoff regularly you won’t get salt buildup unless you let it hope this awnsers your question :v:

Ps my conduit is the sam size as my shop vac for suck out when needed :dash:

2 Likes

@sparky66 yes that answers lots of questions. And the diagram let’s it soak in my thick head, lol.
The ability to flush if needed from the fill tube is a great advantage.
I’m wondering why more canna growers don’t use this method? Dudegrows swears by it due to the simplicity.
What would you say is the best advantage to this over a 5 gal bucket with drain holes? Just the fact that the roots are being semi-air pruned? And/or the ability to water less frequently?

1 Like

I watch dude grows also which sparked my interest in hempy s which is why I am experimenting Scotty likes because you can take a long weekend with hempy s I think fabric pots are great for airation and air pruning and that helps with rootbound issues also where coco holds pleanty of air but when your dealing with soil which compacts more I think fabric is much better coco not so much because it doesn’t compact like soil​:v:I think Scotty has had hempy issues recently trying to deep a res and should have the air gap especially with the amount of worm castings he uses which is very compact material I love guru he is very smart in agriculture but Scotty hempy days was black market days for him wher he had quite a few grow spots and couldn’t be in all his grows daily I think somebody should introduce him to autopots and he would be set but a dirty as his pufco gets eventually his float valves will clog lol :joy: I do like that crew​:+1:

2 Likes

That makes perfect sense to me. And the advantage of coco along with a res built in for skipping a water day or two.
And I like your spaghetti strainer idea vs the pipes in the bottom like Leon does.
It looks like it’d be easier to get the fabric more even the way you’re doing it.
If your grow doesn’t have a journal, post future progress here if you’d like so we can follow the progress! This method is very interesting. And thanks for all the info thus far.

2 Likes

Spaghetti strainer from dollar store even better fits perfectly with a little trim

2 Likes

hemp boxes are also good for Hemp Bucket, You can see sample photos from hemp boxes