Help with transferring to a Hydro setup

Ok so I kinda screwed up already and had my seeds start in peat pellets rather than rock wool. My dumbass didn’t realize I peat could fall apart and clog a system so I’m wondering if anyone here has any tips on transferring these ladies to there final home (4” net cups). My system consist of a diy 64 gallon, 6 site tub. On the inside is a pump and pvc piping with 180/360 degree sprayers run. Plus 2 air stones. Any help/ideas is greatly appreciated. Also a special thanks to someone that can tell me when I should attempt and move them to the sytem. Currently in a germination container.

I bet if you put a couple white groe bags in the cup and then put the peat pots youd be fine for a grow

1 Like

I would be tempted to pull one of the peat pods apart to see what happens. Could be that the peat will just fall off the roots with just gentle encouragement and washing if necessary. Have your rockwool prepared and ready to receive the sprout. You can cut/rip the rockwool open to place roots safely inside.

2 Likes

[quote=“CMichGrower, post:3, topic:65552”]
You can cut/rip the rockwool open to place roots safely inside. [/quote]
@Dre you might want to wet the rockwool before disturbing it by cutting or ripping it.

1 Like

Drfinaly scissor the white mesh first and let sit in a cup if you must remove …minimal roots it should fall apart roll the cup around keep stem up should come right out

1 Like

Surgery can be risky but it can be done

1 Like

Id have to agree those peat pucks will literally fall apart if that mesh isn’t around them snip it off and wash off the roots in a kitchen sink with a hose sprayer

2 Likes

On another note id 100% wait to do anything with them due to them being so tiny and not having developed roots yet wait till there are multiple roots popping out of the peat pucks then you know it has a decent root system going at that point and will have better odds of them making it through

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the tips. Yea I figured I’d wait about a week see how the roots look. Do you guys know why 2 of them would bend so wildly from the others? Are they trying to escape the light?

1 Like

1 Like

Thats called stretching you can lower youre lighting down some and it should slow them down a bit you can also find some type support system for it to help hold it up straight

1 Like

Also in the future I’d recommend rockwool plugs instead of peat pucks for hydro

1 Like

Gently strip them down over/in a bucket full of clean RO i use a small bowl to gently dip and pour…once transplanted into coco or hydroton or w/e you choose for medium, i would start a top feed line at the base of your roots for at least a week or 2, do not fill res over bottom root, mist with a foliar combo of hydroguard, calimagic and RO. turn lights down to around 50% for the next day to help alleviate stress. this is how i transplant from soil to hydro and it has never failed. Good Luck!

when they get leggy like that just gently run the tips of your “clean” fingers over their cotyledons a few times a day, it will get them to start thinking about other things in life like protection from the environment rather than just stretching their necks out staring at the sun

I’d do it sooner then later… once roots start to poke through the mesh …the mesh is gonna have to be cut off around each root… at that size you cant loose any roots can be shockingly deadly… I’d do it asap and …honestly getting it into rock will your gonna need to split a cube in half put the plant between it and … use a twist tie or a rubber band to hold two halves together…you cant just PUT it IN rockwool… do you plan on using clay balls… if so it just leave the peat pots and put 2 extra nursery bags… @Not2SureYet how much are those lil nursery bags u use

2 Likes

They are cheap lol I am not sure if they would be right to use in net cups. I hadn’t thought of that. I may have to try it. I would be worried about it keeping the medium to set. One could probably put the rooter in it and fill the rest with clay balls :thinking: I may have to set up my cloner to test this out on now

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087CYBKPQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Sorry to disrupt the flow of the go @Not2SureYet
I feel it would work… but you might have a damping off issue because the water holding in the peat… probably best to remove the net and get the peat out the mix and go from there… what kind of media were you planning to run with your rockwool plug

1 Like

Ok peoples! What’s done is done! So what I did was soak and cut a slit into the rock wool. I soaked the peat pellets in a bucket of water and let the dirt just kinda fall off on it’s own. I then inserted these babies into the rock wool and now I pray.

3 Likes

Nice set up there. @fano_man I use rapid rooters. No rock wool. I will drop a few seeds to play with when I get home tonight.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m waiting for the 4x4x80” tent to come in stock on the 28th so I can run 12 sites together. Hell I still have 3 little ones that I’m having to grow in smaller containers till I can get the bigger tent. Hopefully the growth won’t stunt too much.

1 Like