Help with seedling please!

Hey folks!

New grower here and im concerned I have a problem with one of my seedlings.

The one in the Red Solo cup was planted over a week after the other. As you can see, it more than doubled the size and is looking pretty healthy although there is some droop.

The smaller one has some yellowing on the leaves that was likely caused by over watering. Though it could also be the light?

The light is placed 12" from the plants with full intensity, 16 hours a day. Im using 2 Mars t1000 in a 2x4 tent.

Any advice on how to salvage this? Am I over thinking and over reacting?

I appreciate any input. Thanks!

1 Like

I love it when they look like eagles in flight! I would say, being a novice myself, too much water, not enough soil and perhaps a hole in the bottom of the cup for drainage. Go get em!!!

1 Like

I poked holes in the red cup. The other is part of a whole kit specifically for growing pot. Im definitely thinking its over watered, but would that stunt the growth so much?

It is and it does. It’s called ‘damping off’ and will drown a seedling.

Remember that sprouts derive all of their moisture from the air so watering the media indirectly waters plant. Better to dome sprouts and mist inside of dome with distilled water for two weeks. No nutes at all: first leaves (cotyledons) provide all nutrition and nothing is needed until they yellow and drop.

6 Likes

So spray dome and nothing else, got it. How long do I do that?

25 “spritzes” in a 4 inch terra cotta pot twice a day. Add more soil to raise it over the rim of the cup to get more light and ventilation. You’re going to have fun!

That makes sense! Thanks @pedally!
Should I transfer the seedling in the kit to a cup? I won’t disturb the soil if I do, but it would give it more room. I just want my first grow to be awesome and this kit has me thoroughly unimpressed.

1 Like

Or until a tap root starts to show out of the bottom.

2 Likes

Sorry, I missed the 2 weeks. I really appreciate the help.

1 Like

I’m happy to help. Just tag me anytime with the @ sign like this: @imSICKkid tag you’re it!

2 Likes

Last question @Myfriendis410, should I place smaller seedling in a soli cup to allow for more room? I could remove the paper stuff, leave the soil undisturbed and add more soil around it. Or would that be over kill? I just can’t understand why the other plant is doing so much better in half the time.

I blame it on the starter bag but genetics is important too. Leave dome off of both plants until media dries out some. That will help. Distilled water only.

1 Like

I greatest issue when I started was messing with my plants ,they are resilient , just need to provide them with a appropriate environment, good soil for roots to grow a good light and water and and air , of course there are optimal conditions and may experts here pull amazing grows with amazing grow rooms, for now try to keep it simple and fine tune as you go along - this is my first harvest it gets better this is my second try now

1 Like

This is how I dome mine.

Seedlings start with no roots to speak of so direct watering is to no avail as they cant take it up.

2 Likes

@Audiofreak, that makes perfect sense…I should have thought about it like that. Its so obvious when I hear it, lol.

1 Like

@Randy_Marsh those are some nice looking plants, gives me some hope.

1 Like

I learned the same way. Someone here edumacated me.

2 Likes

Thank you that was the porpoise, just set them both in a cup - read and watch videos about it , get ready for the next stage

1 Like

what do you mean by a “kit”? It looks like your project is around 10 days from germination. You’ll eventually have to get a larger pot to grow in. Did the kit come with soil, nutrients or a pot to plant in?