Help with light

We have a 1000 watt light over our seedlings, they just sprout, we are able to lower the percentage of light wattage. Would you keep at 1000 or lower? And at this cycle would you keep at 16/8? New growers and appreciative of any feedback :blush:

3 Likes

I would move my temp/humidity meter down closer to the plants …do you have a light meter app like photon ? I run 18/6 on my seedlings …

2 Likes

Hey there @Scottstang
Hate to break it to you but that is not a 1000w light.
Those sellers tag them with wild numbers stating they are equivalent to a 1000w light but they are not.
Its probably a 100 to 150 watt light. It should state on that tag what the actual wattage is.
It might grow one plant to maturity but not well. It will keep seedlings alive and grow the plants for a few weeks but if you are serious you will need better lighting.

8 Likes

That’s disheartening, ugh. Is there a light you suggest? And wattage?

1 Like

if you are going to stay in this tent then a 300 watt is a good choice…

2 Likes

Do you have a budget in mind. I am sure we can help find a better light.
What size tent and how many plants do you want to grow?

1 Like

Lights built with Samsung LM301 diodes are very good for growing cannabis. You’ll want ~200 watts per plant.

2 Likes

6x4 tent 3 plants

oh sorry I thought this was a 3x3 tent…a good number to shoot for is 35W per sq. ft. so you will need more than a 300W that I recommended earlier

2 Likes

And that would be with high efficiency lights. Samsung LM301B diodes.
Lots of knock off counterfeit lights claim they use them.
HLG Lighting
Spider Frmer
AC Infinity
and a few others are legit.

5 Likes

This is my 52 day old “experiment”. Someone told me that you can practically grow an autoflower in the dark. She’s been under this cheap little $20 dollar light since her birth. Looks a little anemic to me. I don’t really expect much. Makes a nice house plant though and what a conversation piece!

5 Likes

Defo healthy. You might get a couple grams but you are right… Need more light if you want more bud.
As a houseplant I don’t think I have seen a nicer cannabis plant though.

4 Likes

The fecida is what i used in my seedlings. Solid light for that purpose. I really don’t understand why they say it’s 1000w though. I wish I knew more about lights to help you out but I’m a noobie. I started with the ac infinity and moved to a Mars hydro. Wouldn’t really call either of them “budget” lights but they make great stuff.

Hi there. Just got the email from hlg. Tax sale going on. Check their refurbished also.
MYxTvUgeuldDKrlvWC

3 Likes

Two of the primary workhorses in the HPS lighting of the past, and still popular btw, was the 600watt and 1000 watt lights. They were actual bulbs that had special fixtures and were vented to remove heat.

So when LEDs started they were comparing the light output to the HPS lights that good growers were using. An led light is far more efficient so it gives more light per watt of energy used. HPS produce a lot of heat which is where non-light energy was wasted. Led light makers started giving their lights designations as “Equivalent” to the HPS system. Thus a V1000 light from some makers was supposed to give as much light as a 1000w hps system. Needless to say this was and still is often nothing but inflated advertising. While LEDs are more efficient, they still require a fair amount of power to do the work. The current thinking which seems accurate is to have 35-40 watts of actual power draw from the outlet for every square foot of grow space. So a 3x3 tent has 9 square foot and will need 300-350 watts of lighting. I have older tech lights that are branded TS1000, but actually draw 150 watts. I have 3 in the tent which is 3x4. I do ok with that. The diode you want if you can afford it is the Samsung LM301B. There is a LM301H which is slightly more efficient, but its more expensive too. Either is fine.
Those lights with those diodes will work at 35w/sqft. Older tech like Bridgelux or Epistar diodes you should aim for 45w/sqft. Again you have to be careful because the Samsung LM301 diodes are counterfeited by the millions and sold by some light sellers.

I have an FC3000 in a cart wondering if I really want it.
I lost a seedling light and I can steal two from the tent if I replace two with that one.

1 Like

It’s a great fixture actually. Even the fce models with bridgelux are good. Oh no not Samsung! Lol, true, but they are not a new company. Now they have smart versions to where you can control those fixtures with your phone.

2 Likes

At the moment the FC is cheaper than the FCE
But 420 sale is soon, do I want to wait is the question?
Actually is slightly more …Its 253.16 with discount code
FCE is 249

2 Likes

Hahaha! I’m pretty impatient with things of that nature. Haha.

2 Likes

Hard same

1 Like