Help with humidity and temps

Well the one that smells bad to me, yeah it still smells a weird burned way to me, it’s still a little sickly, had to stake up the buds bc they were falling over and they aren’t that big, but it’s getting some good amber trichomes so we’ll see with it soon.

And the other indoor one looks really nice and smells super good! It’s not got as many ambers yet but that’s fine…I can wait.

I figured out I have another LSD auto outside that’s doing ok… But it’s getting down in to the upper 40s here at night now so as soon as I chop down the sickly one inside, I may put the auto inside to finish? Will that work?

This one isn’t doing anything and I’m sure won’t but it’s still pretty.

And this one (the one in the forefront)(yes that’s 3 girls right in my backyard!) I had to chop… Just wasn’t going to make it long enough to get it inside… My loss

That’s the five girls going on me right now… Well for now. But as soon as everything is out of the tent and the tent is cleaned and the soil is replenished, I’m starting two more, and that will be my limit. I plan to keep two going at all times. Pretty much. That should be enough to keep me stocked.
I don’t know much about what you should get from a plant. And my past few hopefully won’t be examples lol. These girls are 23" tall. And before watering them in their 5 ga. fabric pots that I regrettably didn’t fill up nearly far enough in the beginning, they weigh about 12 lb.

Like I said I have no idea what I should get with my plants but I think 2 going all year should be more than enough…unless it’s another COVID year…hmmm…I may need a few more tents and lights and seeds and pots oh crap lol

1 Like

Ya, you can move outdoor plants indoors. Try to make sure you’re not bringing any pests in.

Depends on all of your variables. Indoor growing harvest potential is usually determined from size of your canopy not the amount of plants you have. If you’re getting 50 grams per ft² you’re doing pretty darn good. Outdoor grows a little different as when you start plants and length of your growing season will probably have largest impact. Then there is a lot more potential for your plants to be damaged or unhealthy. But a good healthy grow given a full growing season should be capable of producing a pound plus per plant.

1 Like

I’m just stepping in to say that if your branches are being pulled down by medium sized buds, you might want to think about adding silica to your next grow. It makes for very strong branches.

2 Likes

One plant is fine… But that sickly one just seems a little weak. Matter of fact, I’ve been talking with an old friend whose been growing since before I was born, lol, and I think I’m going to go ahead a :axe: em both on Thursday.
The sickly one I swear still smells funny to me and the buds are damn near hard, like they have already been started on the drying process. Water leaves, as he calls them, are brown and dying of like they are burned. The other one looks marvelous lol.
They’re both pretty much cloudy with 25% amber, maybe less, which is where I was going anyway.
I’m just really worried something isn’t right with the sickly one. It’s the one that I split really early on being too aggressive with LST, and didn’t notice till later, then they both had gnats, and there’s still a few I catch here and there. Idk… Just think maybe I better get out while the gettin’s good lol
I’m going to dry them in the same tent. Then bring the two outside, in, put them in the tent to finish them, I hope :crossed_fingers:, while the first indoor ones are curing.
He said he cures by opening the mason jar up for about two hours a day as opposed to just twice a day for some air like I’ve been reading so I reckon that’s the way I’ll try it, cause he’s always had the kill!!! I’m gonna trust his advice lol. I’m getting kinda excited finally!!!
Woohoo… My first REAL harvest!!! And if it weren’t for you and @dbrn32 and @Graysin and several others on here that I can only seem to tag every now and then…I would have given up! So I’m not totally done yet with this grow… But I’m closer than I’ve ever been… So THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS AND GALS FOR YOUR HELP!!! :hugs::wink::v:

2 Likes

You know you’re barely speaking English for me there right? Lol… I guess I’ll know how much I’m gonna get from a plant, when I cut that sucker down and dry it and cure it and weigh it… Lol…bc all that other stuff is way over my head. That is exactly why I had to go with the earth dust… Lol you put it in the soil three times and just water the rest of the time. KISS baby! My old brain can only handle it if I keep it simple stupid lol

1 Like

First, congratulations! You made it and you’ve got some nice looking buds there.

Once you have cut the plant, weigh it. You final yield will be 20 - 25% of that weight.

Example: Harvest 100 grams, yield 20 - 25 grams. That’s just simple numbers to keep the math easy.

Every plant I’ve chopped dried to that range.

1 Like

wash it very well with a cup of peroxide in 4 gallons of water (inside a 5 gallon bucket). Once it’s dried and cured any funk should go away unless it’s just terpene funk from one you don’t like. I maintain that I have a handful of strains I hope to never grow again, they were so horrible smelling (and yet I know I will because my friends loved them).

If you can spring for it, get a couple larger Grove Bags (1/4 lb or 1/2 lb Bags). Save yourself the mason jar experience and just go straight into the cure after you trim and dry.

this is the celebration we’ve been waiting for! :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face: congratulations. I know you’ve had your share of struggles and damn look how far you’ve come.

Let me try my hand here. If you’re in a 4x4 tent, 800 grams would be a remarkably good yield.
If you’re me, your first harvest would be more like 200 grams for a 4x4 because of all those variables Dbrn mentioned. I really, really screwed the pooch on having my parameters right at first. :joy:

Question about that - do you just throw the whole plant on a scale, or are we talking no-stem weight there? I’ve literally never bothered to weigh my wet plants so I truly am oblivious here.

2 Likes

I cut mine into branches and shorten them somewhat - most of my plants have been budded practically to the main stem. I could destem all the buds but what a mess! I tend to break buds off my long stems kinda like popping Brussels sprouts off the main stalk.

That’s where the 20% figure comes from.

I second getting the larger Grove bags, I needed 3 of the 1/4 lb ones to fit Slowpoke inside. I think the larger bags work better, but that of course is an opinion.

1 Like

Ok…I get that! Thanks for simplifying!
Again, not really really worried about the weight and what I get. Just wondering how many I will need to grow to keep myself supplied per year lol. I’m probably a one j a day kinda girl on average lol. I guess most people call me a light weight. But to others I’m a pothead.

1 Like

Ok… That’s something I don’t know anything about. You literally put the whole plant in our the trimmed down buds in and soak them? Or kinda scrub them or how does that work and not lose all your terpenes and good sticky stuff that gets u buzzed? I don’t understand this process at all.
Yes I’m a pest I know lol sorry but you shouldn’t be so smart lol

Looked around for how to do that, found a few different methods, one had using the peroxide first, then baking soda and lemon juice, then water. How does that sound to you?

1 Like

@Graysin

Well the text under this pic said to put it in the peroxide solution first then the lemon juice solution then the water, that’s not what the picture shows though. But if I start with the peroxide/water first and then go to this, what would you think?

3 Likes

I think you can follow that diagram. I’ve personally never used the lemon juice/Baking soda. I just use peroxide.

I will dip and swish a whole plant if it fits. Lately they haven’t been fitting. I will break off the branches from the main stalk and wash those. I hang them up over my bathtub with a desk fan blowing under them to help them drip dry faster.

The way I do it is this - set up 2 5 gallon buckets in my tub. One with plain lukewarm water, the other with lukewarm water and a cup of peroxide. String up some rope or twine on your curtain rod. Harvest the plant, and lay it gently in the bath tub. Break off or cut off branches and submerge the entirety of the buds into the water + peroxide. Swish for 15-30 seconds, then pull it out and allow the water to drip back into the bucket. Once it’s pretty drip-less, move to the plain water. Dip and swish for another 15 seconds to rinse. Then clip (I use binder clips) the branch to your rope/twine. Repeat til you’re done with the plant!

If you’re worried about the plant taking a long time to drip dry, you can put the fan on it directly for 10-15 min to help it dry up a lil bit first.

2 Likes

First of all, good for you!!!

I probably won’t do the lemon juice/baking soda combo either. I’m already being warned on just the bud wash washing away too many terps. I’m going to trust you all on this one though. My guy has been growing for many years but sometimes you just have to teach old dogs new tricks rather they wanna learn 'em or not lol.

He doesn’t like the idea of the grove bags either but I did order three of each size you mentioned as well. I actually ordered them directly from the company rather than from Amazon. There were more choices coming from them.

I also ordered a cannabrush. Not sure what everybody’s thoughts are on them. Heard both good and bad. Thought I might give it a try. I’ve got some pretty crappy arthritis in my fingers and wrists so I may end up needing it. They say your product really needs to be super good a dry or you won’t get good results. Again the loss of terps would be my concern. Just experimenting at this point.

Looking to learn as I grow.

But most importantly, I cannot express enough how very thankful I am for your patience with me. I really appreciate that you take the time to break things down.

I’ve had some issues with cognition even more so since a recent car accident. I was at my therapist office today and during a little breathing exercise she asked me if they had mentioned any brain injury during the wreck or if I have had a stroke. Funny, I’m getting that question a LOT lately. So you’re patience as well as so many others on here, is really more helpful than you could ever imagine.

I can’t express how appreciative I am to all of you. I can’t help but believe though, that you have to be an instructor or teacher of some kind. Now or in the past because you do a great job at it.

Ok… Better try to sleep. Got a get up for more physical therapy and chiropractors and acupuncture tomorrow, then to grab a few supplies for the harvest!!! Yay!!! I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep though… I’m too excited… I’m also sad to have to cut the girls down now… I’m sad to see them go but I’m also ready to start the next two… Well after drying these two in the same tent and bringing the two outside in, finishing and harvesting them, and drying them, also in the same tent. THEN I’ll be ready to start two more… I’m addicted, it’s over now!!!

And yes… In person I talk even more than in chats lol :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Love my cannabrush. Negative reviewers don’t understand that it isn’t a barbecue baster - if you try to “baste” your buds, you’ll hate it. The bristles are long and stiff, and are designed to be used “against the grain” so to speak. Just use them to knock off the sugar leaves, be mindful to not get lazy and let yourself fall into basting mode. It makes a huge difference once you get the hang of it. @Caligurl recommended one to me long ago and now my trim tool arsenal is incomplete without them.

I understand that feeling all too well. Eventually it gets less sad and always just a bit more exciting. :smiley:

PS - I haven’t experienced a huge loss of terps of you let the bud dry enough to be cure-ready before you trim. The bud wash makes no meaningful impact on terpenes, because it makes about as much sense as saying a short summer rain washes away terps (seriously you’re in water for 60 seconds max). Same with the Grove Bags - they’ll hold humidity in and regulate it better than jars. I never did the jar cure. But @Audiofreak and many others have cured in jars alongside Groves and the Groves always come out on top. So it was a no brainer for me as a new grower to skip the burping BS and go straight to the groves.

1 Like

From a wise friend (not my words)… when you see what gunk comes out (even from an indoor grow) you’ll be a bud wash believer LOL

"Trichs will come off in the wash, but it is of no concern…to understand this, you need to understand the different thrichs and the structure of the bud …

1 – Bulbous
This trichome type is the tiniest of the three at just 10-15 microns. For the record, the width of human hair is approximately 40 microns. Bulbous trichomes appear on the surface of the whole plant.

2 – Capitate Sessile
These trichomes are slightly larger than their bulbous counterpart, and there are far more of them on the plant. Capitate sessile trichomes consist of a head and a stalk.

3 – Capitate Stalked
These trichomes are the largest and most abundant of the trio. Some of them achieve a size of up to 100 microns. This means it isn’t difficult to see them with the naked eye. Its waxy gland head is the main location for terpene and cannabinoid synthesis."

In your wash you will lose some old, amber and bulb heads …but the majority of the trichs are internal to the bud, so your surface wash will mostly have no effect on potency …take note however that hash plants are specifically bred to have more bulbous thrichs, obviously, so you will lose more in the wash"

2 Likes