Help with hlg's please

hi everyone, this is the first time i have started a conversation on a forum so ill do my best. basically i was wondering if some one could give me some advise or a run down on the hlg range, i am trying to get my head around it at the moment. i currently have several 4x8 foot cupboards running 2 bestva 2000s each. i opted for the bestvas when i came back in side a few years ago due to the large initial setup cost and to be honest, cant knock them much at all, i have had acheived average to above average yields and have had no failures in over 10,000 hours of use (rough calculation on the oldest lights). the time has come to think about upgrading and based on all the available info, hlg are the only real option if you want to do it properly. the range is large and the prices vary and i was wondering if anyone has some suggestions as to the best fit for my set up? thanks.

2 Likes

@dbrn32

1 Like

You may be able to get away with 3 hlg 320 kits (4 would be best but I think you could get enough light from your edge lights to make 3 work)don’t forget your 10% off with code dude

2 Likes

Your idea of cupboards and mine are completely different. 4x8 is a freaking closet, lol. To light that kind of space with hlg lights you’re looking at 4-hlg 260xl’s per 4x8. If you go that route, I would just do one of your “cupboards” and see if the results are worthwhile. If you think so, then invest another $1500 on each of the rest of your cupboards.

3 Likes

What are you pulling in dry weight per pair of bestva 2000’s?

2 Likes

hahaha, yeah sorry they have just become known as the cupboards. they are purpose built enclosures to accommodate my nft systems, i wanted to try something different. thanks everyone, my thoughts where what you both suggested either 4x260’s or 3x320’s but wasnt sure. the bigger stuff seemed excessive but i wasnt sure what i was missing if i went with smaller stuff, it seems just as good based on the testing. in regards to yield, i average approx 500g dried, clipped and cured. i know that doesnt seem like much but it is a very quick turn around system, 70 - 75 days start to finish and quiet efficient as well. we do have some hid’s (growing plants in dwc over longer periods) but the leds work a lot better with the solar system and allow us to power ourselves. the extra load from the hid ballast combined with the increased cooling requirments mean that in summer the inverter cant produce the power but also the heat causes an increase in resitance in the grid an my voltage kicks up over the 258v the inverter can handle and bumps me off. sorry i just realised i left out one important point, im in north Australia, it gets f@#king hot here.

1 Like

Hi guys, I just worked out how to “like” people, thanks again

2 Likes

I grow in a 3x3 tent with one bestva 2000. I love that light. I got 6 ounces off one amnesia haze auto with it. Ran it 24 hours on full spectrum and then 12/12 once flowering began. I have also been interested in HLG lights. Hear great things about them but also don’t mind my set up.

@dbrn32

2 Likes

I completely agree, I don’t have any complaints about them at all but like you say, the hlgs just get such great reviews. I’m mid renovation at present and probably be a couple of months before completely done but once finished I will have room for a couple more systems and I think I will be putting 3x320s in one. I will let you know how they go compared to the bestvas. That’s if you don’t get one before me :wink:

3 Likes

I think I would probably go for 4-260xl kits over 3-320 kits. But either would probably do.

1 Like

Thanks, if you think that’s a better idea I’ll go with the 260’s. Do you think I’m gonna get more consistent coverage from the 260’s?

1 Like

The 260xl’s are extra long. So you get better coverage.

2 Likes

Good to know, thanks. Just to make sure I’m on the same page, is this what you’re referring to?

Sorry, this one

2 Likes

The ones you want will have “xl” after the 260. 260xl… hlg 260 XL V2 rspec…yes the 2nd one. You got it.

2 Likes

Awesome thanks heaps guys, I’ll get some funds together and let you know how I go. Thanks again. I’m loving forums, wish they had these in the 90’s when I was learning the hard way, lol.

3 Likes

second one, and the increased coverage is exactly the reason.

i have both the 260 xl’s and 320’s. so there is no confusion, they use the same heatsink and are physically the same size. you should get more coverage i would think from the 320 with the ability to raise it a little higher?
either way, i will be flowering 2 -4x4 tents. one with the 260 xl’s and one with the 320’s. i am looking forward to seeing the difference if any. i have 2 plants under the 260 xl’s now. they are about done and they look fantastic. Big dense buds. An experienced friend of mine stopped by the other day to see how i was doing.These are my first two plants ever. he couldn’t believe the buds, said they were bigger than anything he has ever grown. he asked for the link to HLG, lol.
good luck man.

3 Likes

You’ll get the same coverage but higher ppfd at the 3’ and 4’ distances.

2 Likes

Thanks mate, my thoughts where initially the same as yours but I think the point dbrn32 is trying to make is that 4 X 260xl’s is going to be better than 3 X 320’s. Because I’m in a single 8x4 I have the option of running 3 lights if it was going to be better. How many lights are in your 4x4s? How and what are you growing? What do you think the final figure will be?

1 Like