Help with growing in SW Florida

These are my White Widow seedlings that I sprouted in wet paper towels about a week ago. Planted them after they sprouted, they are looking very leggy and some of them are weak. I had to stake them up with small pieces of bamboo. I’ve got them on my screened in lanai in the sun, I move them under truss in evening in case of rain as I don’t want them beat down by the rain. Am I doing something wrong, or not doing something I should be doing? I haven’t done any fertilizing yet. At what point will I be able to move them outside?

4 Likes

Are they getting any breeze? A fan on them would toughen them up.

When you transplant, bury the stems a bit, maybe 1-2" below first node.

5 Likes

We do get a bit of wind thru the screened-in lanai/pool cage, but not as much as out in the yard. Any ideas when I should replant them?

1 Like

I usually go straight to 32oz cups.

I would give them a few days then transplant.

1 Like

Welcome to ILGM! Don’t worry too much about the long stems, you can bury them when you transplant them, most of the way up to the leaves. They’ll grow roots out of there, too. When they get leggy like that, it means they’re reaching for more light. Maybe the screen is blocking enough sunlight that they want more. Once you’ve potted them up, I’d start hardening them off by putting them out in the sun, gradually increasing the amount of time in the direct sun until they’re out all day. I agree, give them a few days and they’ll be ready to transplant.

3 Likes

Also, @Budbrother and @S.FloridaSwampman might be able to help you out with some region specific stuff! :v:

2 Likes

A little bit of precipitation if possible will initially seem to hurt the long sprout, but seems to bounce back this time of year with the intensity of the sun. In addition, a healthy dose of hardwood Ash yet the best part is that is practically impossible to overdose your plant. Oak wood is prevalent in our vicinity, so grab a few branches and burn baby burn. I think someone mentioned transition in to the sun. Gradually transition because I have the snoopy plants because I pushed too hard, and then I abandoned then. I just couldn’t pull them, but it’s still early for the fall harvest. Please feel free to message anytime, and I try advice, but you probably shouldn’t take it. Have a good Morning

2 Likes

Replant when the little pots soil begins to pull from the side when thirsty. It will transition nicely.

1 Like

I’m in fl. and grow outside in cloth pots. As soon as they sprout they go outside to get natural sun and they love it. I would think about transplanting and start introducing them to the out doors a little more each day

1 Like

Thank you, I will be transplanting them fairly soon. Put them outside today for an hour in the sun, then in the shade for a couple of hours. Looking forward to getting hem to a good size.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I will be transplanting them soon. Put them out today for an hour in the sun, then for a few hours in the shade. Now back to the lanai.

1 Like

Hahah beat me to it, good advice AAA

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I’ll be repotting them soon & will bury the leggy stems in the dirt. I put them out in the yard today, protected by placing them in the bowl of the fire pit so the dogs wouldn’t stomp on them! Left them out for an hour in direct sun, then a couple of hours in shade, now back to the lanai. It makes sense what you said about the pool screen. We got the no-see-um screen, closer weave to those pesky bugs can’t come in. But it also cuts out about 30% of the UV rays. That might be the problem. This forum is great to share information! Thanks!!

3 Likes

I would like that as I’m inexperienced in this endeavor!

Thanks so much for the info!! Love all the good advice as I’m a newbie in this.

1 Like

Are the cloth pots the ones that you plant in & then plant those directly in the ground & the pots dissolve as the plant grows?

Those are jiffy pots or peat-based pots that dissolve like that. The cloth pots are a heavy felt material that breathes really well and air prunes the roots when they hit the side, instead of them curling around and getting bound up.

3 Likes

Hmmm…I’ve never heard of them before. Where do you get them?

Jiffy Pots:

Cloth pots:

Both come in several sizes.

1 Like

Some don’t like using Jiffy Pots because the pot can take some time to dissolve, leaving the plant somewhat root bound in the meantime. You can try peeling the pot away, but that can damage the roots. Most around here start in solo cups or something similar, then pot up one or more times to the final pot size. If you’re planning on going into the ground instead of containers, I’d still start in a small container, and maybe pot up once before transplanting them into the ground, just to help develop the root ball.

2 Likes