Help with garden soil

Hey Family. Ok this is off topic a little. I have a nice little outside garden for veggies. The problem is 4 plants have gotten yellow leaves. The Rose Bush also has yellow leaves. We have one of those soil test kits. After i followed the directions it showing i have a really high ph in the soil. Its like 8-8.5. Now here is where i need the advice. Is Lime the correct fert to lower the ph and sulfur raises it? Also how do i apply it? Do i just sprinkle some lime on top of the soil or do i need to work it into the soil. How long does it take to adjust the soil. Is it the same as Liquid ph adjusters a little goes a long way. I just don’t want to add say 1 cup of Lime to the soil and then next week i check the ph and its at 4.0 or something that will need to be raised. Sorry for all the questions but i don’t know the answer to this myself. Any help would be great.

I already had it backwards Lime raises ph sulfur lowers it. So they talk about 2 different types aluminum sulfate and sulfur AS is almost instant and sulfur is cheaper and gradual What is best?

@WickedAle has you covered there. Dolomite lime is more neutral and would likely buffer more than anything.

1 Like

if you are in containers,the soil rising to 8. to 8.5 is from lack of drainage,adding lime will harm you ,if you have already added lime,acidifier will drop your ph ,but can also be toxic to your plants if you dont do this in small increments,check every couple weeks and see were your ph is and add as needed,the easiest way to drop your ph is just buy cutting it with peat moss it is acidic and will drop the ph